Panama Jack Huffy Beach Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
GasBikes told me the Grubee was a much better kit than the Flying Horse. I ordered the Flying Horse but they were out so they "upgraded" my order to the Skyhawk.
Yeah - I've heard that from vendors too - but... looking at the engine they're identical in castings, literally identical. I've seen variances in castings with other engine kits, the head's cooling fins in particular but the Grubee and the Flying Horse don't even have the littlest deviation that I can find...

The thing with the Grubees is they include all sorts of extra stuff with the kit... (mounts, extra gaskets, hardware, bigger tank etc.) I almost wonder if that's the difference? That it's a "better kit" like the vendor says - but the engine itself is the same, it's just the Flying Horse kit doesn't have those extra bits? I dunno as I've not gotten the Flying Horse kit, just checked out a buddy's.

Still - I suspect they may be the same... I'd defo get a Flying Horse if it was cheaper, particularly as just an engine and not a full kit.

I'm all ears if anyone's got any more info tho ;)

Last edited:

T Rock

May 5, 2010
Florida
I just got the Flying horse kit and it came with everything I needed. It did not come with the extras that you mentioned such as the gaskets and bigger tank. But it did come with the extra mounts for a bigger down tube. It also came with a gear puller and a spark plug wrench, and a gas filter and came with some really cool grips(black with chrome ends) I just posted pictures of my build in this section on page 2.

Attachments

Last edited:

Archduke Chocula

Apr 23, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Very good 2door,LOL.I know I have a little cleaning to do.And its a Dax 48cc and the coaster brake was the biggest pain so far,it has to be bent in 2 different spots to clear the sprocket bolts and lign up with the chain stay and either make or buy a large front tube adapter.Even after 14 builds,not one, was the same as another,which is good,they all have had their own challenges to overcome,keeps it interesting.
I finally got my motor shipped today. I started by putting on the sprocket. I agree, the coaster brake is a HUGE pain in my ass. I'll have to grind part of it down to get it to fit, and then bend it. Not today though, it aggravated me enough for one day.:-||

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Very good 2door,LOL.I know I have a little cleaning to do.And its a Dax 48cc and the coaster brake was the biggest pain so far,it has to be bent in 2 different spots to clear the sprocket bolts and lign up with the chain stay and either make or buy a large front tube adapter.Even after 14 builds,not one, was the same as another,which is good,they all have had their own challenges to overcome,keeps it interesting.
I feel your pain on that coaster brake, I finessed one with a vise and wheel grinder to a perfect fit, only to have it break on me after a month or so during some braking. rember that thing needs to be pretty strong so in making it fit try to preserve as much metal as you can - my 2c.duh.

Archduke Chocula

Apr 23, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Well, ive set the coaster brake aside for the moment and decided to moved onto installing the clutch. Another set back there. The spring doesnt seem long enough to push the clutch back to an open position. I'm thinking either I need a larger spring then what was included with my black flying horse kit, or that when the little chinese worker installed the clutch lever at the factory he/she aligned it poorly. When its in the open position it sticks outward which would interfere with pedaling.

Here are pictures:

Attachments

Last edited:

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
Well, ive set the coaster brake aside for the moment and decided to moved onto installing the clutch. Another set back there. The spring doesnt seem long enough to push the clutch back to an open position. I'm thinking either I need a larger spring then what was included with my black flying horse kit, or that when the little chinese worker installed the clutch lever at the factory he/she aligned it poorly. When its in the open position it sticks outward which would interfere with pedaling.

Here are pictures:

Pic #2 is the clutch in what you say open position. Remove the spring it is not needed. If you push the clutch lever by hand you will feel the clutch engage. You want to move lever till it wont move without force (that is where its at in pic#2) put cable threw slide cable stop over cable pull cable tight tighten cable stop your done.

Adam

Archduke Chocula

Apr 23, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
I feel your pain on that coaster brake, I finessed one with a vise and wheel grinder to a perfect fit, only to have it break on me after a month or so during some braking. rember that thing needs to be pretty strong so in making it fit try to preserve as much metal as you can - my 2c.duh.
I think I will use a grinding wheel and vice too. However I will heat the metal before bending it too prevent any cracks. Fixing that one piece of metal is all that prevents me from riding. :(

aphaze

May 17, 2010
Jacksonville, Fla.
Greetings from a n00b. I saw the Huffy PJ bike at Walmart about two weeks ago. Have been drooling like Homer Simpson's donuts dreams. Really appreciate the input from the forum. Great tips...great photos.
aphaze

Archduke Chocula

Apr 23, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Didnt do much work to the bike today, just bolted on the exhaust. I still have yet to grind down the coaster brake, and in the meantime will do a little painting. I'll post photos when its all finished.

T Rock

May 5, 2010
Florida
I just bent mine in a vise, use a hammer to pound in certain angles, mine works fine without any grinding.

tmcbroo

Apr 25, 2010
milford, de
i love this bike the 12 ga spokes wide tires just looks like a motor bike i will pick one up this week, as for the motor, im thinking /5hp-Tecumseh-Engine-2-Cycle-Snow-TH139SA-8339- does anyone thought about it? looking for a transmission solution, any ideas, going to put on the sringer type front end also... how about some ideas????

ladydi4

Jun 10, 2010
florida
Hi I just found your link about the Panama Jack Bike - How long has this bike been out - I want a 24 inch Ladies bike and I cant get any respond from them - I am so angry . Can someone build me 24 inch from their 26 ladies bike ?

ladydi4

Jun 10, 2010
florida
Panama jack makes beach wear and accessories, so they partnered with huffy to make a beach cruiser. Other than that, there is no information available online about this bike... not even a picture.
I found the pictures with both bikes - ladies and mens bike -by looking up PANAMA JACK BIKES -- i AM SKULLY over I want or rather I need a 24inch ladies one - they dont make that size.