Bottom gasket...wth?

GoldenMotor.com

oogamiser

May 18, 2014
mass
I got a flying horse 66cc motor about a year ago, magneto coil went twice, just got it running again...before the mag went I had to cut out two bottom gaskets to raise the jug up enough to keep the piston from slapping the head...I just got new gaskets, I thought maybe the gasket was meant to be as thick as it was, but I guess not...is this normal? there's close to 1/8 inch of gasket material for the bottom gasket...will a different size piston help with this?

drn2

oogamiser

May 18, 2014
mass
can you pm me a link to the piston you're talking about? is there only one gt5 piston? I have a number 2 piston in my motor right now

oogamiser

May 18, 2014
mass
Honestly, I had a feeling he was just talking out of his ass. I have no idea what the stroke is on my motor...I'm just gonna do what I know worked and hope for the best until I can get a better motor...

oogamiser

May 18, 2014
mass
it was running fine really...but the head gasket needed to be replaced and the bottom gasket(s) were beaten up so I figured I'd get a new one not realizing I would need more than one...later on I'll measure the stroke to see what I've got

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've cleaned up this thread. The OP has a question and that's where we need to concentrate our efforts. The other problem is being taken care of, today.

Carry on guys, and good luck to oogamiser with your problem.

Tom

oogamiser

May 18, 2014
mass
well, just putting a few more gaskets on the bottom works...I don't like it, I feel as though the structural integrity of the engine is compromised, but if it works and it doesn't blow up, why mess with it further. I'm a little heavier, 250lbs but the bike pulls nicely past 25 at 3/4 throttle so not too shabby, I'm running just a little under 32-1 ratio, carb is adjusted just right, had the fuel tank loosen up on my ride this morning so I got gas on me, but it's tight now...always worrying about pulling the studs outta the tank tends to make me err on the cautious side...thanks to those who helped.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
well, just putting a few more gaskets on the bottom works...I don't like it, I feel as though the structural integrity of the engine is compromised, but if it works and it doesn't blow up, why mess with it further. I'm a little heavier, 250lbs but the bike pulls nicely past 25 at 3/4 throttle so not too shabby, I'm running just a little under 32-1 ratio, carb is adjusted just right, had the fuel tank loosen up on my ride this morning so I got gas on me, but it's tight now...always worrying about pulling the studs outta the tank tends to make me err on the cautious side...thanks to those who helped.
This might help with the slipping tank syndrome-
I put a thin coat of plasti-dip on the tank's valley and top surface of the frame tube to be able to keep it in position without over-tightening the mounts.
It really works and I can't even budge it from side to side while the nuts are only snug. Blue loc-tite and a double nut keeps them on.

Regards ;)

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This might help with the slipping tank syndrome-
I put a thin coat of plasti-dip on the tank's valley and top surface of the frame tube to be able to keep it in position without over-tightening the mounts.
It really works and I can't even budge it from side to side while the nuts are only snug. Blue loc-tite and a double nut keeps them on.

Regards ;)
excellent advice slogger....

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
excellent advice slogger....
I also put it where the chain tensioner fits on the chain stay. The tensioner itself is also coated. That thing stays put. Even with the bolts loosened, you can't even slide it around to adjust it. I have to tap it with a ballpeen.
;)

oogamiser

May 18, 2014
mass
good advice, I will look into that, I ended up shearing the original bolts that came with the tensioner...I had two hardened steel self tapping screws that worked perfectly after I drilled the holes to size...I need a spring tensioner for the chain tho...so I'll just make one outta some scrap steel I have laying around...gotta adjust the engine again cuz the sprocket is grabbing yet once again...pretty sure the off roading I did jiggled the engine a little...I just got a new 415 heavy duty nickel plated chain, it was almost long enough, needed a half link to be long enough so I have a bit of old chain, that I cut off when I originally installed the motor hooked up to two masterlinks, not ideal I know, I'm going to get a chain breaker and riveter to solve that problem, and another chain...it looks really good tho, nice and shiny, I figured the nickel plating would add some abrasion resistance to it...

just for the heck of it, I took the muffler cap off and farted around town, I liked how it sounded, but it was just too loud...hearing is important when figuring out if the bike is running right or not...might have end a slight increase in top end power...next thing I'm going to do is put a brace on the muffler to keep it from shaking...

one thing that hasn't really happened is stripped studs on the motor itself...except for one exhaust stud that sheared...and I really torqued them all down pretty good...but I got the hardware upgrade anyways...

I've spent close to what a decent used moped goes for, but as I took advantage of today, with a motorized bike, I can still pedal if something happens like running out of gas...

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
yor welcom
Why are you chiming in? You did NOTHING to help!!! PLEASE take a break bro and go out to your garage and BUILD YOUR BIKE. Sorry to every body else if I sound too harsh. But why the heck is he saying "you're welcome" to the dude. What the heck did he do to help? NOTHING!!! I hope this is the last time I have to school this guy, I think it's been taken care of.
fatdaddyusflg

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Why are you chiming in? You did NOTHING to help!!! PLEASE take a break bro and go out to your garage and BUILD YOUR BIKE. Sorry to every body else if I sound too harsh. But why the heck is he saying "you're welcome" to the dude. What the heck did he do to help? NOTHING!!! I hope this is the last time I have to school this guy, I think it's been taken care of.
fatdaddyusflg
I didnt say anything, but I was thinking the same thing, didnt know whether to scratch my head or my butt when I read that one......lol!!!