Rain Canopy

GoldenMotor.com

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I've googled all the possible results for a rain canopy to go on a bike... None of them look very good and what few that are for sale are in the $2-300's. I would like to know if anyone has built any home made ragtops for their bike and if so how they did it. Pics would be awesome. Just looking for ideas to keep me from having to engineer something completely from scratch.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I get the impression that, if you're able to successfully convert one of these for use on a bicycle, you'll want to mount it very, very securely. The first one looks like it'd make a great drag chute if it bent over backwards. Same with the second one if the two rear stays give way.

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Lol looks like that guy on the bike has some sort of giesha girl parasol not an umbrella. I'll just cut up a 50 cent poncho so it doesn't drape over the motor and light me up and wear my full motorcycle helmet to keep the rain out of my face. The idea just appealed to me of somehow getting full rain cover on this bike while I'm going all out making it a weedwacker franken-cycle.

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
That's how I'm getting it from VA Beach where I live to Norfolk where I go to school to motorbike around Norfolk during the day. Getting car parking was already a pain before my school just decided to get rid of over 1000 parking spots which is why I built this bike in the first place. I can park 10 miles away now if I want. Rainproofing me and the bike is the last thing I have to do to take it from a fair weather toy into a dependable commuting machine... at least for a year until I graduate. Then hopefully I'm moving down to Georgia where I have some family and there will be some good off road terrain where I can beat the living $h@t outta this bike and see what it can really do :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Be careful wearing a poncho. There's a story here somewhere, in a very old thread about a guy wearing a cape for Halloween and riding his MB. The cape got caught in his drive chain and sprocket...you can guess the rest. :)

Tom

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Good old standby trash bags make functional rain ponchos in a pinch and can still be cool. Of course, it all depends on how you wear it.

Cool:

Not cool: