Hi! New member from northeast Indiana ..

GoldenMotor.com

the.hatter

Jun 22, 2011
NE IN
I've been a cyclist for 6 years or so, and was even able to ride 3,700 miles in 2009 (under my own power lol). I'm just learning about the new engine kits available, some are really slick!

Anyways, I picked up a used Specialized road bike a few years ago for commuting purposes, and am tossing the around the idea of throwing a kit on it, but no one seems to put these on road bikes. WHY ??? I've searched, but am not landing on relevant threads.

Also, I would want a bike that would still be convenient to pedal for power. Is this reasonable? Do I have to hold a clutch pedal in all the time to do this? I'm also concerned about weight, as the Specialized only weighs around 15 lbs now.

Kit would probably be one of the 2 stroke, 2 hp, <50 cc jobs for legal reasons, with a desired 30 mph +/- max speed.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy and welcome.

Best bet for ease of pedaling with no drag might be a friction drive, IMHO. But like every thing, there are pros and cons. Would read up on em and look for folks who have one. Some times folks who haven't owned or ridden one have strong opinions that don't properly reflect FDs.

Thing I like about em is ya can just switch back to a bicycle only drive with no drag. All the noise and vibes are behind you and can be a 4smoke with regular sized cranks, if ya wanted one. But then there are always compromises. Biggest one is not good for wet road conditions if you need to motor. But you have many options! Some great kits and DIY ideas to be had.

I have done a road bike or 2. They are fine. road bike - Google Search Gives ya lots of room for an engine, IF. (inframe)

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Hi Indiana!

I'd put a gas engine on a slightly heavy bicycle such as a Mountain bike or a beach crusier. Road bikes are made for the maximum bicycling experience and as such are not suitable for engine mounting. Pot holes, gravel, bumps in the road or sudden turns are annoying when you're on a regular bicycle- now think about that when you're going 30+ miles per hour!

Be careful, MB's are fun but they're also very dangerous- very dangerous. They're "kits" and they don't teach a driving course at Sears, they can be unfamiliar even to experienced cyclist (at first).

Start with a good bike that you can control with some weight and girth.