throttle handle bracket nub

GoldenMotor.com

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
there is a plastic nub that sticks out where the throttle bracket tries to sit flush with the handlebar. i'm assuming that one is supposed to drill to keep the handle firmly in place. is this why it is there?

i have removed the nub and will use adhesives once the bike is bulletproofed if indeed i haven't messed anything up. as it is now it doesn't move around while twisting the handle to increase/decrease throttle cable.

austin

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you don't drill the handlebar, or remove the little 'nub' as you call it, tightening the grip assembly down can cause a bind or worse, a crack in the plastic. The 'nub' is there to prevent the grip from rotating on the bar. Most drill a hole to keep things from moving but I've read a few posts from guys who have had luck just tightening the grip after removing that tedious 'nub. Personally, I drill a 5/32 hole in the handlebar.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I used to remove the 'nubs' until I had a customer come back & tell me that the throttle housing cracked over time & the throttle lever was loose enough to come off in his hand while riding! :eek:
Luckily he didn't crash.

Now I drill a tiny hole in the bar just to play it safe. ;)

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
That is not enough weight even with you leaning on them bars as well to cause a structural failure in good bars. From that small of hole you would have to crash pretty hard and have a pretty direct hit for that small of hole to cause it to break at that spot, and with a wreck like that the bars would probably be shot even without the hole drilled in them. I have had more than a hundred pounds on both side of my bars and I have not had a problem with my Ritchey bars and the one you got on yours goat looks to be good and sturdy. So in conclusion I would suggest that if ya do drill a hole just make sure you have good set of quality bars.

Peace out

:-|| I need to find me a good wheel for a low cost price
I wanna ride

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I seen many bars bend up in my B.M.X. days. I think possibly the sad thing is some ultra cheap Chinese handle bars failing. To each there own I am not gonna drill holes to mount the engine or a chain teinsoiner ever ether. But that's just me. You guys can drill away if ya want to.

I don't like to spend my time on the bike wandering what will fall apart a freak fracture. So no you cannot and will not ever talk me into it. I spent my entire life on bikes and still peddle more than the motorized and yes even with a hundred pounds on the front. I haul my life there.

I am over six feet tall [built like a lumber jack] and to save my lower back I get over the bars and lean into mine way more than a seat on the back tire set up. I disperse my body weight over to the bars already touring peddle stance. . A 135 pound guy may just be a little different.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
You never know when you'll need to crack WOT to get that clearence drift in a corner,and you don't need a slipping throttle control when that time comes

lol

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If'n ya's referring to me I don't use the crappy throttle that comes in the kits. They will fall apart just from touching them the way I do things. http://motorbicycling.com/f3/metal-throttle-grip-mount-26247.html
Hoca 50cc scooter aluminum throttle: Performance 1/4 turn throttle.

This throttle is pretty sweet it will not fall apart and has a throttle stop adjustment so your throttle cable will last forever for the most part. The end that likes to brake at the carb.

I have two of them and like them.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
If you don't drill the handlebar, or remove the little 'nub' as you call it, tightening the grip assembly down can cause a bind or worse, a crack in the plastic. The 'nub' is there to prevent the grip from rotating on the bar. Most drill a hole to keep things from moving but I've read a few posts from guys who have had luck just tightening the grip after removing that tedious 'nub. Personally, I drill a 5/32 hole in the handlebar.
Tom
I cut the nub off and set the throttle in position.
Then I drill through the housing and handle bar and tap in a 3/32" roll pin or tension pin whichever you prefur.Kip.
[email protected]

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
ok,... got ya,... no worries,
but like you signature says, "ya gotta have a sense of humor"
so I had a little chuckle seeing all those 'heavy' (as you put it) groceries on the handle bars all the while you where worried about safety issue's,...
that doesn't look like a safe way to ride to me, but have at it man,...

I do appreciate you inputs on this site though, very helpful so thanks,...!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
ok,... got ya,... no worries,
but like you signature says, "ya gotta have a sense of humor"
so I had a little chuckle seeing all those 'heavy' (as you put it) groceries on the handle bars all the while you where worried about safety issue's,...
that doesn't look like a safe way to ride to me, but have at it man,...
HaHa! I know what you mean........One should be cautioned!
Been doing it that way for over thirty years! Figured it out after I over grew the B.M.X. trick bikes and started going across town on mountain peddle bikes [can't beet the durability] I still prolly look like a circus bear on the mountain bikes. tho laff Down hill forks leave miles of room for grocery's etc. with out having tire contact issues. I only had to run ins with it early on some 20 years ago then never again after the triple tree down hill style forks.
The stock throttle is not bad and I understand why folks want to mount them the way they do. That's how some of my friends did it. I have subscribed to the idea of as heavy duty as I can get. Then pray for no surprises. I have use the stock throttle with out drilling. It actually worked pretty well for me. Grocery bags would still occasionally work them loose where by I just re-tightened them. I love the metal throttles I bought they will out live me!

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
I have a plastic nub throttle and was wondering how do I mark the exact location to drill the hole? I know with the metal ones, you can just tigheten it and twist it back and forth to score the handle bar to give the exact position where to put the hole. Unfortunately, I cannot score metal with a plastic nub. How do you guys get the perfect distance from the end of the handle bar to the plastic nub hole location? Also, what size drill should I use for the plastic nub hole?

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I just looked at the handle and took a lucky guess where I needed to drill.

You could put it on and hold the handle straight so you have room to put something underneath to make where the nub touches then go from there I guess.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Put the throttle in place where it goes on the handle bar ,mark the handle bar ,remove the throttle and observe where the nub is in relation to the edge you marked from ,and locate where the hole goes,decide your angle you want the cable to be rotated too,as in; flat forward ;,down;,in-between