too much grease?

GoldenMotor.com

snobord28

Jun 2, 2010
Bakersfield
HI all, I adjust my clutch cable every once in a while because it seems to start to catch after about 30 miles when pulled in(freewheel). But when I leave the house it works perfect and no grab at all, Now im gettin close to getting all I can out of the clutch cable for adjustment. My question is is that a symptom of too much grease on the pads? Just wanna know before I have to get into it. Thanks

snobord28

Jun 2, 2010
Bakersfield
ok let me re-word this, Ive had my bike runnin for about 2 months,500 miles riding hard and having a blast. Every once in a while I would notice it catching when I came to a stop.(clutch lever in) I would have to pull my clutch cable a little tighter at the little brass fitting on clutch arm to fix it. I cant really seem to get any more out of the cable to fix so what should I do? Is it doing this because theres too much grease on pads or something?thanks all

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
looking at the spring at the clutch arm,,Is there any more compressing room possible on the spring,it looks very squeezed down like there is no more room too squeeze it togeather

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Sounds like you need to adjust your flower nut. If it was slipping while engaged, that would be too much grease. Basically you remove the little lock-nut, move the flower-nut a couple of notches with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. I forget which way it'll need to go, have a read through this thread.

http://motorbicycling.com/f6/help-need-expert-21944.html#post209102

Check Norm's 2-Stroke repair center stickies for anim's, teardown and more info on your clutch. So you can see how it all works before you go too far.

Norm's 2 stroke repair center - Bicycle Motor at Motorized Bicycle Forum

gl.

snobord28

Jun 2, 2010
Bakersfield
well I tightend the flower nut a little and gave it a try and it feels pretty good, so im happy. Just another question though, when is it necessery to actually tighten the clutch spring itself like ive read on other fourms?

This site is great thanks for all help and input!

usflg

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
Mine does this as well. Pay attention to where the clutch lever is when it works. Then pay attention to where it is when it's catching. It moves. I think that the cable either stretches for me or slips a bit. I just live with it. And always ride w/ a screwdriver.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I had something similar to this but it was the 19mm nut coming loose where the clutch pin goes through. I basically just undone the 3 screws, took off the little cover, pulled on the rear brake and tightened up the 19mm where the drive sprocket is. Maybe worth a look.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Just another thing be careful not to pulll that cable too tight that you were talking about as you will prematurely wear out the clutch pin and/or ball. You pretty much just want it so there is virtually no slack in that arm.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I just posted most everything you need to know about about adjusting the clutch, just look at Recent Topics.
In addition to that, before you start back all lever adjustments all the way off and rest the brass cable end on the clutch lever end so it has no cable slack and some tension on it.

After that you can use the flower nut to get it perfect and when you get some wear use the lever adjusters until have have to do it again, but with over 500 miles on mine I haven't had to as as I hold the brass cable stop with pliers and crank that set screw down hard with the proper sized Phillips screw driver.

If you snug the brass cable end up good and marl it with a felt pen, slide it out of the groove and slide it 1/8th to 1/14" farther up the cable, tweak it down hard as mentioned then push the clutch arm in by hand and put it back on you are set to flower nut adjust away ;-}