motorized bicycle cdi

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
any of you guys have a non working cdi you would be willing to donate to the iron works lab? I'd like to take one apart and see if I could figure out what and how it works might be able to buy replacement parts to repair them but then again I might not. if you wanted I could even return it when done dissecting it PM me and let me know thanks.
Norman

ChrisHill

Manufacturer/Dealer
I haven't been on the site for quite awhile, but it's nice to meet you Norman.
I am always game for things like what you want to do with the CDI. I don't have any dead CDI units, but if you email or PM me your address I would be more than willing to send you a couple of new ones to mess with...and no, I really don't want the remains returned, lol.
Let me know, if new ones are okay or if you are only looking for dead ones...thanks.

ChrisHill

Manufacturer/Dealer
I just realized that you are the person that has those awesome lights that will actually stay running off of the engine.

Is the bulb included with your light housing?

I might have other items kicking around that you may want or need, and I would love to check out one of your lights...interested in working something out?

Please let me know...thanks.
Chris

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'll send you a big light for a cdi Chris. Will that work or would you like a small one? I'll PM you may address.
Bulb is included with either light. there is no mounting brackets and no switch on the small light. No mounting bracket but the big one has a built in switch. I don't paint them any more so you will have to paint the small light. I have one big with black wrinkle paint I could send you. let me know.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I took one cdi almost apart and my soldering iron died. what I've found is a coil and a circuit board the bad news is the circut board is where my iron decided to lay down so I've not gotten all the epoxy off the board and I may have to take one more apart to get a better look at the inside as I took a dremel to it and it got ugly. So that where I'm at on that.
Norman

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
(c)Yea it did quit working, the interesting way is the way I condemed it .I proved it , the bike was bogging down with no power. This was temparary of course because of lack of oiling the eng. Took a propaine bottle [didn't light it] ran a hose by the back of the carb got bike boggen down even more proving not fuel related.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Norm,
How where you able to take the CDI apart? I tried that once and the hard resin encasing the CDI was a pain to take apart. In frustration I used a hammer and chisel to take out small chunks at at a time but it didn't go well.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
:ride2:The tiny cut off wheels that com with the dremal kits, youl break a dosen of em before getting it right

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I used my soldering iron to heat the epoxy resin it will then crumble apart, I learned that trick from my RC airplane and helicopter days when I zigged when I should of zagged.
I dropped the dang iron off the bench and the tip broke off and I could not get it out so I'm looking for a new iron hope to get a big pistol grip one with high watts that will really heat things up.
I did use my dremel and the fiberglass reinforced blades but it is very hard to use and not get into the incased parts.I still don't know exactly what these parts are except i know there is a coil and circuit board and a good sized capacitor and some more small things that was a lot of help wasn't it.
Maybe one of you guys can take one apart if you have a good soldering iron.
Norman