Throttle upgrade

GoldenMotor.com

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I am looking for a cool throttle replacement upgrade. I am tired of this ugly non quality plastic kit throttle. Suggestions,... Recommendations...? Thanks

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
ive succesfilly used a brake handle as a throttle replacement but your fingers get a lil tired after awhile. ive seen it mentioned on here before where some people use a bike thumb shifter as a throttle, gives you a cheapo cruise controll too. ( im planning on trying this out sometime in the next week) :)

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Since I am running a shift kit, I may still have to stick to twist throttle system. I want something like of a billet and with the looks of a real motorcycle kinda thing,.. I am searching e-bay but not sure if will work with the cable sleeve that come with it.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
since my throttle cable broke at the throttle end i chose to use a brake lever and i put a bolt cable stop on the end of the cable,works great, but i may try a shifter lever for the cruise control cause i would like to travel at the same speed while i pretend to peddal.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
NAPA has an all metal one fer like $10-15... no kill switch tho. It's still made in china/taiwan w/e & the grips suk, but it's solid that's for sure - even the twist tube is metal too.

part # 7-03921

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm going to chime in here with a warning about "cruise control" ideas for motorized bicycles. They are not safe, guys. When the time comes, and it will eventually, when you need to get off that throttle 'now' fumbling for a release or trying to twist a lever to slow down can cost you precious seconds. Some motorcycles offer a cruise control option but those systems are as sophisticated and work like the ones in cars. They automatically release on the application of brakes and/or have a 'Off' control within easy reach. In a panic situation, on a motorized bicycle, a locked throttle can get you into trouble. Please consider this when experimenting with with your throttle controls.
Tom

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
I am looking for a cool throttle replacement upgrade. I am tired of this ugly non quality plastic kit throttle. Suggestions,... Recommendations...? Thanks

howdy,

it's been a year since your quest for a better throttle; what did you end up doing? i too got a kit which seems to be a type of "model" or pattern to go by and then you start replacing everything with more quality as you go along. my first day out and my cheesy china twist grip crapped out. i'm not sure it's fixable or not.
hope you are still with us; i'd really like to know what you did.

be seeing you

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I have done both used the brake handle off an old Bmx bike. (currently) and I bought the twist throttle from Napa. The grips from Napa where horrible so I just replaced them with an old set from my Haro Gt. I just wanted to try the Brake handle Throttle and have that just below the Dual brake lever ( best $10.00 I have invested yet) and the clutch on the other side and all is good. And if you want Cruise control use a rubber band. I don't but, to each his own.

Reactions: Jbyrd666

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
About 2 Yrs Ago I Got A Package Deal On 5 Dual Brake Thumb Throttle And Built In Brake Lite Switch. It Has A Brake Lock Button Which I Use Often. It Has An Ajustable Throttle Stop So Cable And Carb Are Not Damaged. I Have One On My Shifter Bike, Thought It Mite Give Me Thumb Cramps! It Is Quailty And Smooth, After A Yr Of Use, Would Not Prefer Anything Else!! Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
howdy,

it's been a year since your quest for a better throttle; what did you end up doing? i too got a kit which seems to be a type of "model" or pattern to go by and then you start replacing everything with more quality as you go along. my first day out and my cheesy china twist grip crapped out. i'm not sure it's fixable or not.
hope you are still with us; i'd really like to know what you did.

be seeing you
I found and old 1968 vintage Magura Throttle. You can see this throttle used in old Suzuki Motor bikes. The sleeve housing is made of metal / aluminum. There is no gap in between when twisting. I really like this throttle specially I am runnin on a shift kit....I threw away my old piece of ____ china throttle. In Japan SAYONARA means goodbye...so I say SAYONARA China kit throttle....cheers!

Attachments