Tires/Tyres

GoldenMotor.com

carpediemi24

Oct 20, 2009
Boulder CO
Hello all, been reading a lot on here:)

I am researching 26" tires for my cruiser build. I will be riding on them almost daily. I am trying to get all these in one tire!? Low rolling resistance/grip in rain/slush/riding 90% on pavement...

I just got today the kenda k-rad 26"x2.30 ...not bad looking but flimsy sidewalls (deciding to mount in back I think!?)

The other tire that keeps popping up as tough is the Geax Saguaro TNT Folding Mountain Bike Tire - Black/White Sidewall - 26 x 2.2 (more on the pricey side).

I guess write what tires have worked out the best for you (there are just too many and my mind is freaking out) so others can see what has worked with this extra weight and speed.

Another question would be, is it alright to have 2 different size tires..if so, bigger one in front or back?

Thank you for your time and input!

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
* I always put new tires and tubes on the bikes I buy on craigslist. Myself, I think that is thee most important thing on the bike as far as safety. My favorite tire for the money is the Michelin Country Rock. It is an all purpose tire made mainly for hard surface use. They run almost perfectly true, and are a very durable tire. You can usually find them for under $20 a piece,* Now if you want to spend a little more money I would definitly say the Maxxis Hookwork! They have tremendous traction and are almost bullitt proof. They will run you around $30 a piece for a 26 X 2.0.* John

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm runnin Kenda Kommuter tires, and they work great, low rolling resistance, good traction. dunno how they work in the rain, because it never rains here. the only thing is they're 26x2.0, and i want a wider tire. (first pic)

so i ordered some Kenda Kiniption, 26x2.3s. these tires look scary-awesome, with a tread pattern that goes from bead to bead. (second pic)

Attachments

carpediemi24

Oct 20, 2009
Boulder CO
Thank you guys for taking your time and adding pics!! I will research these tires:0

I just get over-whelmed by so many tires out there on amazon/bikesomewhere.niagaracycle... and the reviews have nothing to do with Our use with extra weight and such.

Thanks again!
Buck

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Better look at Servas Survivor Drifters too, 4 layers of flat protection, inverse tread, great traction, wire beads, no vibration, wear like iron. Best bike tires I ever had. $40/ea.

P1010145.JPG

Serfas 2009

Last edited:

carpediemi24

Oct 20, 2009
Boulder CO
Thanks Junster! Looking at those tires as well. Having harder rubber compound, how do they feel to the touch and sticking to the pavement? Thanks again guys!

Buck

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
They really are great. No rolling vibration, good cornering traction. It took about 200 miles just to wear off the center molding seams. I have had zero problems or complains with them.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Hello all, been reading a lot on here:)

I am researching 26" tires for my cruiser build. I will be riding on them almost daily. I am trying to get all these in one tire!? Low rolling resistance/grip in rain/slush/riding 90% on pavement...
If you live where it snows, you might want to consider getting two pairs of tires, one for snowy season and the other for summer. Smooth tires ride much better on dry pavement than knobbies do, but smooth-tread tires are much worse than knobbies in snow, ice and mud.

Other than that, just pick one that is wide enough, but that doesn't cause chain interference. The main factors influencing how "hard" a tire will feel is your rim width and the tire's inflation pressure (a wider rim lets you run lower pressures, for a more comfortable ride). There are differences in rolling resistance of various tires, but you're not going to notice the difference under motor power--it's only when pedaling that you can feel it, and even then not all the time.

Puncture protection is another factor to consider. The tires that have the least rolling resistance tend to be the thinnest and the lightest, but also tend to have the most problems with punctures. The tire with probably the best puncture-resistance is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, but it only comes in a 1.75-inch width. That's a bit narrow for a bike with no rear suspension and a solidly-mounted seat.

...And it's just my opinion, but if you're building a motorized bicycle that will end up going over 30 MPH much, you should be using a full-suspension frame anyway. Cruiser bicycles are mostly ridden at <15 mph so that means hitting bumps at 30 MPH is putting ~4X the usual stress on the frame and fork. If you use a motor big enough to push things up to around 50 MPH, then you're reaching around 10 times the usual stress on the frame and fork when you hit bumps.... I am constantly amazed at the people who will drag an antique rusting hulk out of a trash bin and bolt a 5HP engine to it.
~