Cant get the old primer off

GoldenMotor.com

Darth Yoda

Sep 12, 2013
Sweden
Hi. I got me some color remover which worked real well except for that most of the primer beneath is still sthere. What are my best option? Sandblast it? Sandpaper?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
probably just a little scuff with steel wool or scotchbrite will give the stripper something to bite into.
personally i dont care for using stripper,as cleanup can be troublesome,not cleaning it thoroughly can lead to blemishes in the paint.i have sanded frames to bare metal,it really doesent take all that long.

must be a good primer if stripper isnt softening it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree with tooljunkie. Scuff whats left real good with scotchbrite and paint it. Any primer that hangs on after chemical stripping should make a very good base.
I don't even strip it unless I have to as decent factory paint is as good as any primer you can apply at home once it's scuffed properly.

Darth Yoda

Sep 12, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, but concerning keeping it as a good base, along the stem where the seatpost is placed it has gone off in some major areas. Would i not do best getting rid of everything that is still there, and on the rest of the frame?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It isn't unusual for a stripper to need a second application if the first one didn't take everything off. Have you tried reapplying the paint stripper to the areas where the primer is showing?

Are you sure you're dealing with paint and not powder coat? Some bikes, Nirve is an example, uses paint over a powder coat base. Powder coat can be very difficult to remove. There are special strippers that will cut it but it must be made specifically for removing powder coat. Regular stripper usually won't touch it.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
As usual, 2door is right.
You can also spot prime the raw areas if you don't want to strip it again...

Toastyy1990

Dec 3, 2013
Illinois
I have used carb cleaner to rub paint off before, you could try that. I think I personally would just add another layer of primer to the whole thing, though.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you're going for the raw steel look, wet sanding the rest of the primer off is the way to go. takes some time but you get a nice shiny steel base.

if you're going to spray can paint it, just clean it up, primer the bare spots and paint it.

if you want it to last and have 50-80 bucks laying around, get it powder coated.

Darth Yoda

Sep 12, 2013
Sweden
How should i clean it? I'm pretty worried that the paint removal has set a bit in the base coat that where left after the paint removal.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I read it over a few times and see that it is not the paint he was worried about removing, but that the metal still would have residue of the paint remover left in the pores of the metal. I suspect he worried that new paint would not go on right with any of the paint remover not gone completely. I would think instructions on cleaning off the paint remover would be indicated on the painter remover instructions.

Sand blasting if you can do that would be best. I could not get the whole frame in the shops mid size sand blaster. Also some powder coated paint on the engine just does not come off easily with either careful sanding or various goop type paint remover.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
I feel sorry for our future generation .....

Can you imagine attempting to remove old powder coating?

Sandblasting old powder coating can be very difficult compared to old enamel or lacquer .