Bike maintenance

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 14, 2016
Texas
So I've upgraded to a spring tensionor some time ago. My 40 tooth sprocket adapter is in the mail. Now I've been feeling the urge to clean and review my engine and its various parts. Im curious as to what parts I should grease. The only thing my research has uncovered is that the thing under my clutch plate cover should be well oiled. Can I use wd-40? Also Im curious as to should I somehow grease the part that actually pulls on my chain.

On a side note my carb leaks gas from the filter. .I think I need to align and tighten it better. If,there is anything I should make,sure to grease/oil let me know.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Your going to love your hub/sprocket adapter!
Since your going to have the chain off, I would mark it so it gets installed just like it was removed.
Once marked, and you have the chain off, I would soak it gasoline for a few minutes, and use a brush to clean off accumulated debris. Hang it up, and let it drip dry. Once installed,I use a spray on chain lube made for motorcycles, that is real sticky when it dries. This is superior for lubricating as oil will simply fling off at speed.
Under the clutch cover I would use a very small dab of heavy grease between the gears, as wd40 is too thin. Small amount of grease between the gears. Don't over do it!

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Grease: Every two hundred miles: (1) Remove the drive sprocket case cover that the clutch arm hooks into and cover the clutch shaft and where it fits in and coat the clutch actuator bearing with grease. (2) Remove the gear case cover and put a dab of grease where the large and small gears connect. Do not use too much and don't get any on the clutch plate or the clutch could slip.

Oil: There is nothing to oil except your gas! Never run your engine without oil mixed in your gas.

brnot

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
It probably does not apply to this situation, but on my bike and others that use sealed bearings on jack-shafts I am thinking two years about before I just remove and replace. I ride off road only and in inclement conditions. There sealed so no cleaning or lubing, and therefore at some point they dry out and or become contaminated and seize up. Either one of two things happens then, trying to spin the outside of the bearing in the pillow or the jack-shaft spins inside the inner bearing ring wearing down the shaft. Cheaper not to ruin jack-shaft, bearings are cheaper. I bought a pack of 10 at around 15 dollars on Ebay free shipping.

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
So I've upgraded to a spring tensionor some time ago. My 40 tooth sprocket adapter is in the mail. Now I've been feeling the urge to clean and review my engine and its various parts. Im curious as to what parts I should grease. The only thing my research has uncovered is that the thing under my clutch plate cover should be well oiled. Can I use wd-40? Also Im curious as to should I somehow grease the part that actually pulls on my chain.

On a side note my carb leaks gas from the filter. .I think I need to align and tighten it better. If,there is anything I should make,sure to grease/oil let me know.
I would like to add to what everyone else has said Here. Inspect and repack your wheel bearings with grease if your going to be taking your sprocket off anyway. They usually aren't greased well enough from the factory and they usually were never designed for the abuse of an MB. Most general purpose grease should be up to the task. WD40 isn't a very good lubricant. If you are bent on using a lubricant out of a can then I would suggest a white lithium grease. I use a dry lubricant for the chains and cables.

Sorry, I know you were asking about your engine specifically but I believe these are good things to check while you're at it, if you haven't already.

Happy motoring! If my reply was off point I apologize.

Aug 14, 2016
Texas
Thank you riot my man! I greased my bearing the day I bought the bike about 100 mile ago but ill be sure to greases them again. I think I used too much synthetic oil. Talk about oil build up. Grandpa took a look at my spark plug and said that's alot of carbon. I used 6 oz per gallon. Gonna knock it down to 4oz. Chain and bolts rusting from the rain. I have a spar chain from ebay Im saving because my 40 tooth adapter in the mail,and Im gonna have to cut it for the new measurement. It came pregreased so that's a plus.

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Thank you riot my man! I greased my bearing the day I bought the bike about 100 mile ago but ill be sure to greases them again. I think I used too much synthetic oil. Talk about oil build up. Grandpa took a look at my spark plug and said that's alot of carbon. I used 6 oz per gallon. Gonna knock it down to 4oz. Chain and bolts rusting from the rain. I have a spar chain from ebay Im saving because my 40 tooth adapter in the mail,and Im gonna have to cut it for the new measurement. It came pregreased so that's a plus.
Ah, maybe you'll be okay then. I just brought it up cause I feel like its an easy thing to overlook. Cant ever hurt to check right? haha.

you could put a thin coat of nail polish or auto touch up paint over bolts and screw heads to stem off their exposure to the elements. That is if the surface rust is a problem for you. Or some WD40 or wax although it would be a pain to have to keep touching it up all the time imo.

4oz oil to 1 gallon is around 32:1 ratio I think. I run 40:1 with non synthetic 2cycle oil no issues. you could probably drop down to the same and still have better lubrication on synthetic oil than I do at the same ratio. So that would be around 3.2oz per gallon of gasoline. Ultimately up to you just my .02 :D