Federal Law for Motor Assisted bicycles .

GoldenMotor.com

propellerhead

Oct 27, 2012
Australia
Seems the same the world over wrt: Ambiguity/Confusion/Contradiction in the Law on MBs....

G'day All. I just signed up to this forum a few days ago. I'm mighty impressed! This is a great resource for all manner of info to do with MBs. I have some good ideas for what I'd like to build, but am disappointed with the 200W rule here in Oz. I'm disturbed too by some things I've been hearing about planned changes to Law here (Sydney, NSW). I've seen a press release from earlier in the year saying it's planned to increase permitted motor output capacities from 200W to 250W, but it read to me like it was directed specifically toward eBikes. Speaking to one of the guys at the local bike shop yesterday, I was told there are other planned changes to the Law also. He said these will serve to pretty well ban ICE powered bikes. He said there'll be no throttles permitted at all - Pedal Activated/Assisted Power only. Also, he said the Police have been getting more stringent and cracking down on MBs in recent times. I've checked over Roads and Maritime's website today but didn't see anything about new/planned legislation (besides the 250W thing mentioned above). I used the RMS website feedback/comments/queries email function to ask for specific info, but don't know when to expect a reply. Have also established contact with a VSCCS Licenced Certifier to ask. He was busy so I gotta call him back again tomorrow. Have any Aussies here heard anything around the traps? My Driver's Licence is currently disqualified but I need to commute 15km each way over some pretty hilly terrain and REALLY don't wanna get nailed!! Any info/advice appreciated.

(I posted this to the "...Australian..." thread just a short while ago. Am also interested to hear how you guys are fairing too though. Changes in your jurisdictions frequently filter down to us in the Great Southern Land.