New throttle to short

GoldenMotor.com

mark090

Sep 28, 2014
ontario
Alright sooo i got a new throttle and i put in on my bike and the throttle cable is too short i do have a aftermarket CNS carb and im not sure if it came with different throttle cable or if the stock one is just fine

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
they can be adjusted beyond what is available normally, but I'm failing to understand if it is inner or outer that is too short & if cable or throttle is new

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
ah, it's the inner that's too short - open your throttle grip and CAREFULLY trim about 1/8in off both rails at the end of the nylon that forms the throttle stop

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
ah, it's the inner that's too short - open your throttle grip and CAREFULLY trim about 1/8in off both rails at the end of the nylon that forms the throttle stop
as a new guy myself, i have to say that's a slick little trick.
you guys are good.

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
My cable was also too short to easily get through the spring, but i just squeezed down the spring really tight and shoved it into the carb. My bike runs great and revs fine, so if you dont want to cut a bit off the throttle stop you might try just installing it anyway, it worked fine for me.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
true that you can sometimes compress the spring more, but you still need enough cable to fully reach the bottom of the carb when you release the throttle - one should always hear a tiny click when throttle is released

Last edited:

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I'm not sure what tools you have in your shop but I've had very good luck soldering cable ends. You could cut the end off, trim back the sheath and form a new end.

The little throttle cable end is made by drilling an appropriately sized hole in a block of wood, filling it with liquid solder and inserting the cut cable end.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
back in 60s & 70s, I had a solder pot hot all the time like any 'cycle shop

we'd put an end on, coat with flux, dip in pot, then swedge the cable strands & dip again

too much hassle these days, no shops do it, but one old guy in next town still makes custom cables

mark090

Sep 28, 2014
ontario
I chiseled the throttle thingy and then i took a picture, its still compressed to much I NEED CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!