Bike build in New Mexico

GoldenMotor.com

Retrores

Aug 25, 2015
Las cruces NM

Well, I finally got the pic sharing thingy down through photobucket so I can start sharing my build. I decided to build a board track inspired build with a bit of originality. I figure I am building this project for me so I can do what I want! .....I sound like a little child! Here is where I started: the main frame is some type of 70s bike I think, I bought it from a guy down the road for 8 bucks. I modded the down tube and seat tube to open everything up a bit for the motor and jackshaft. The wheels and tires are off of a discounted Wally World bike. I am not sure about the front end, but I am pretty sure it is off of a late 70s moped. It functions great and was pretty easily fabed to mate up. I know it really doesn't fit period correct but WTF... I like it! The 5 hp flathead came from my friend who's son used to race karts back in the late 90s. The Briggs is slightly modded, cut head, mild cam, carb with custom manifold. i think I will pull it down and go .10 over, as the compression is lower than I want. Jackshaft is in the working, as I ordered parts to fab it yesterday.....damn I hope my gearing is close! I will keep you posted as things progress. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Retrores

Aug 25, 2015
Las cruces NM
Thanks gents
I appreciate the words. I am really into the 4 cycle builds also. I just feel an old school board tracker should thump not buzz... JMO. I do understand that the 2 strokers are a great way to get you rolling though. I plan to finish weld the tank and Kreem the inside this weekend, rear seat mounts and # plates also. Will post more pics soon.

Retrores

Aug 25, 2015
Las cruces NM
Nine, thanks! On my scary ...brakeless, tank taped on, pull throttle ride down the street, the set up seems to work well. I think my gearing feels pretty good also. I will keep you updated with pics and performance. I have an idler sprocket ordered and will be working that into the driveline.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've got something similar going with 51 Schwinn cantilever frame, 5 horse flathead Tecumseh, inframe copper gas tank, suspension fork in a thread called "kindalikeawhizzer", so of course I like your build a whole lot. Looks like a fun ride!
SB