Distressed tank logo by Lurker

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hey guys long time no post. I haven't forgotten about you I've just been busy with other things. As some of you may remember my last build was rusty barn find style bike... well I've got a huge art show coming up this week (July 11th) and in preparation for the show I thought it would be a good idea to freshen up the logos on my bikes. While I was doing this I thought it would be a good idea to do a tutorial.

Step1: clean and mark the location of the logo.
No picture necessary you all know how to do this

Step 2: Apply vinyl stencil and dust lightly with paint and let dry.

Step 3: Remove stencil. Looks pretty bad huh? don’t worry it’s intentional.

Step 4: Apply Iron oxide paint let dry and spray with rust activator.

Step 5: Let activator dry, then wash with water and let dry again.

Step 6: Dust lightly with textured brown paint then soften the hard ares with base color blue in my case.

Here is a list of products I used in order of application.
Rust-Oleum flat white
Modern Options iron
Modern Options patina green (rust activator)
water
Rust-Oleum multicolor textured rustic umber
Rust-Oleum navy

I hope this helps someone and if you are free this weekend come the the show. I will have 5 works of art and 2 of my bikes on display.

Other Books Other Worlds July 11th 5pm at Unsmoke gallery in Braddock, PA

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightster

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lurker, you did good. It would be hard to distinguish your tank logo from one that has been sitting in a barn for 40 years. Good work.

I used to build scale R/C model airplanes and I know it is an art to make something new look old and used. We used to use a Dremel tool with a buffing pad to sprinkle Vasoline on the leading edges of the wings before painting. After the paint was dry you rub it and the Vasoline areas would show through making the wing look like it was rock and sand blasted. Good for WWII fighters.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Tom

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
The looks incredible! I see I have a lot to learn about trying to pull off a distressed look. Thanks for posting that.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Nicely done! One of these days I'll attempt a distressed patina finish bike like you have done here. Yours is very convincing.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Nice! Patina
Little off subject but how those tires working out for you? I bought a set for an up-coming build and am just curious how they ride ? they are the only ones I could find close enough to the Vintage ones.