A little help!

GoldenMotor.com

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
So I'm a total n00b when it comes to board track racers or motorbikes in general, zero knowledge. However I really want to build a board track racer from scratch. I found a nice Worksman Flyer "BTR" with a drop loop frame and double-sprung dual-leg fork and drop bars. I found it online for about $950. I want to know if that's a reasonable price, or can I find them somewhere else cheaper? I want my final product to be something like the India below. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmmmm........well.....it's hard to say whether or not that's a price that's worthwhile to you. It depends on what you want.

You could use a $100 beach cruiser and mount the handlebars upside down and have, more or less, the boardtracker effect. But the Worksman frame will surely be higher quality. So now go ahead and ponder how much that $850 difference means to you.

I'll add one other thought. Boardtrackers are definitely good looking bikes. But I could never ride more than a few minutes in that hunched-over position. There's no way for me, of course, to tell you whether your back and neck can take that. But you might want to consider it a bit.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I want one that looks exactly like that too, even in a basket.....for under a thousand!! RC

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
A photo of what you found would go a long way toward telling us what you saw. If it has a China Girl engine look up on the forum what you should ask about what was done to the engine when the builder bought it.
Did they make all the corrective repairs or just open the box and bolt it in.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My advice is always to build a simple motorized bicycle first so you gain some experience before embarking on an ambitious project like a full-on board tracker. I know they're beautiful and there are some out there that look good enough to eat but they take a lot of work and experience. Not to mention mechaincal and metal working skills.

I've seen too many folks who start out with high aspirations but discover that they're in over their heads after the project gets going.

Start simple, with a simple bike and kit engine, either 2 or 4 stroke and go from there. You'll be money and time ahead and gain experience needed for any future projects. You'll also discover if a motorized bicycle is what you expect it to be. Just because it looks like a BTR doesn't mean it will perform like one. It's still a bicycle.

Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
[QUOTE="Mannhammer]I found a nice Worksman Flyer "BTR" with a drop loop frame and double-sprung dual-leg fork and drop bars. I found it online for about $950.

I want to know if that's a reasonable price, or can I find them somewhere else cheaper? I want my final product to be something like the India below. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
Check out Silver State Cycles in Las Vegas for a less expensive drop loop board track frame and very nice stainless tank.

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
Hmmmm........well.....it's hard to say whether or not that's a price that's worthwhile to you. It depends on what you want.

You could use a $100 beach cruiser and mount the handlebars upside down and have, more or less, the boardtracker effect. But the Worksman frame will surely be higher quality. So now go ahead and ponder how much that $850 difference means to you.

I'll add one other thought. Boardtrackers are definitely good looking bikes. But I could never ride more than a few minutes in that hunched-over position. There's no way for me, of course, to tell you whether your back and neck can take that. But you might want to consider it a bit.
I guess if the extra cash means it'll be better quality, then I don't think I would mind, it'll just be a little more expensive, and more time consuming, but I knew from the start it would not be that easy. Thanks for the help!

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
A photo of what you found would go a long way toward telling us what you saw. If it has a China Girl engine look up on the forum what you should ask about what was done to the engine when the builder bought it.
Did they make all the corrective repairs or just open the box and bolt it in.

Steve.
Oh my bad I thought I had posted that pic too lol. This is what I found online.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Picture doesn't blow up so you can see it but it looks like one of Sportscar Pat's built by Worksman Cycles. I'd say that that is as good as you'll get in my opinion. Pat and his brother hold the record at the Bonneville Salt Flats using their other frame. If you Google the name at the top of the page in the Google box you will see all the posts they have made here.

Worksman Cycles has an excellent name in the motor bike world for a top notch product.

Steve.

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
Thanks Tom! I appreciate the input, and you're probably right, it all boils down to experience. Still I just want to go into this head on. I'm not a very patient person, and taking my time and starting small isn't my thing, unfortunately that's how I was taught, and that's the only way I can operate now, so I'm kinda used to it. But any tips, criticism or recommendations you guys want to throw my way, I'll more than gladly to take into consideration.

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
Picture doesn't blow up so you can see it but it looks like one of Sportscar Pat's built by Worksman Cycles. I'd say that that is as good as you'll get in my opinion. Pat and his brother hold the record at the Bonneville Salt Flats using their other frame. If you Google the name at the top of the page in the Google box you will see all the posts they have made here.

Worksman Cycles has an excellent name in the motor bike world for a top notch product.

Steve.
Thanks Steve I really appreciate the input, I'll make sure to check them out now that I'm home from work.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california

butchl

Sep 30, 2008
Garden City, MI
NO: The frames are not worth those prices. Just about $75. worth of tubing and a few bends. Plus most ate too thin tubing ( around .069 wall) build you own at your own pace.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Everything you buy costs more than the sum of its parts. Not everyone can bend their own tubing accurately or weld properly and safely. There's some craftsmanship there that has value and comes at a cost. Whether or not its a fair cost is up to the individual consumer to decide.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
If you are going to throw money at a premade drop-loop frame and go from there then Sportsman Flyer should do the trick. Pat knows what he is doing. I modified a Worksman frame and it has held up well, but I think what Wret says is right on the mark. I could have probably purchased something near to what I have for for the same money, but I had the ability (and help) to build exactly what I wanted. I would take Tom's comments to heart also, but most of all you must find some patience, and whatever you do don't get in a hurry. Chances are it will come back to bite you.

Just another thought from an 'Old Guy".

Good luck, Dan

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the input and tips. Yeah I'm just getting some info right now, and looking into it. I'll most likely start the build sometime after next month. I'll keep you guys updated.