Starting to look like something

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Hey guys.

I'm been scrounging parts for a couple of months now and I'm starting to get something tangible. Here's my take on an Indian (sort of) board track racer.

Attachments

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
No. Monark II. Seems very high quality and robust. I haven't got a feel yet for how much weight it will absorb.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME! Looking realy good so far. When i was a kid i had a Monark twin motor bike and them forks were awesome...............Curt

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
No. Monark II. Seems very high quality and robust. I haven't got a feel yet for how much weight it will absorb.
now I see it..could not tell on my phone.You wouldn't know I have a Monark hanging in the garage geez.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
For any of you looking to match the look of the original board track handlebars on a budget, stainless steel shaft collars welded together work well. They are $8.63 at McMaster-Carr.

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
This build is shaping up nicely, I especially like the quill shaft!

I assume you’re going with a right side final drive( ?)

I’ve been thinking about doing this myself, and it looks like you may be using some plumbing fittings for your bottom bracket...?

Would you mind explaining the details of your solution? Like the parts you’re using & bearing sizes, etc...?

Thanks in advance!

-Kirk

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
The bottom bracket shell is actually a 2-1/2 inch rigid conduit coupler, a lucky find at home depot. It has non-tapered threads all the way through, and an inside diameter of 69mm and change. The outer nuts were a little harder to find but I found them here: http://www.garvinindustries.com/ele...les/chn-250i?gclid=CLO5wvHs7LwCFTQOOgodvUsAVQ

The outer shaft is 40mm stainless steel tube from McMaster-Carr. I found that 40mm is common size for go kart drive shafts so bearings and sprockets are easy to find. The shaft will sit inside a pair of sealed bearings that are 68 OD x 40 ID x 15.

The 16mm quill shaft will ride inside on 35 OD x 16 ID X 11 bearings and will have cottered cranks on the ends.

There will be some spacers and shaft collars keeping everything in line and tight. Most of the parts are inexpensive and readily available on ebay/McMaster-Carr. I'll see if I can take a picture of all the parts before I fit them together.

Last edited: