Ok, had dremel and we'll see how much damage I did.

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Oh screw that. I'll just get it running as good as I can, and if the choke has to be 1/4 of the way on so be it. Thanks for all the help, but I'm done messing with this.

It's just for putting around the block every other weekend for 15 or 20 minutes, it's not a commuter....

Then why are you even asking for our help, if you don't care about getting it running right?!?!?!? :rolleyes:
Sometimes, fixing a problem is a little more complicated than simply turning a screw...
(you should try... you'll be very happy after you've fixed it!)

Last edited:

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Then why are you even asking for our help, if you don't care about getting it running right?!?!?!? :rolleyes:
Sometimes, fixing a problem is a little more complicated than simply turning a screw...
(you should try... you'll be very happy after you've fixed it!)
Well to be honest, I don't think drilling the jets is the answer. Since I can return the bike back to the OEM settings, as I have the orginal manifold and exhaust...

I think less is more in this case. I'm not going to open the carb.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
But the simple fact that you are asking everyone here ... means that you don't know what the answer is...
I've had this very same problem before!
By putting the choke part way on, you are forcing the engine to slurp more gas from the carb!
By drilling the jet a little bigger, the carb will do the same without the choke on. (the correct way for it to work)
If you want to try it, I'll walk you through it so you will do it right.
(it's very easy!!!!!)

I'll add this... EVERY individual engine runs a little different! Some need more gas to be happy, some need less!!!
You have one that likes to run "fat"... (I think thats a good thing.)

This is something that I have to do to many of the bikes that I build.

Last edited:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Its true that if you have to close the choke down to make the air/fuel ratio "right" you are allowing less air to flow because the jet is too small, OR you have air leaking from somewhere else. You enlarge the jet and you need more air, therefore open the choke all the way...

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
But the simple fact that you are asking everyone here ... means that you don't know what the answer is...
I've had this very same problem before!
By putting the choke part way on, you are forcing the engine to slurp more gas from the carb!
By drilling the jet a little bigger, the carb will do the same without the choke on. (the correct way for it to work)
If you want to try it, I'll walk you through it so you will do it right.
(it's very easy!!!!!)

I'll add this... EVERY individual engine runs a little different! Some need more gas to be happy, some need less!!!
You have one that likes to run "fat"... (I think thats a good thing.)

This is something that I have to do to many of the bikes that I build.
No... Since I CAN return the bike to the original OEM setup I can go from there. I used a new exhaust, and manifold when I did the porting. THAT is the most logical step to me and then to go from there. I'm not going to drill the carb period.

But thanks for your input.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Final update: The new long poo poo pipe is back on. I didn't dremel it. I took a short ride and saw a cop so I had to scoot home. Later after the KC Chiefs lost yet another game I took another longer ride. I opened her up on the last 3 blocks home, and she runs better than ever! SO I have a upgraded plug, plug wire, and a dremeled intake with a stock long pipe exhaust. I'm a heavy dude and the bike pulled me right up all the hills.