Worksman in the works

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I recently purchased a mush used Worksman newsboy cruiser from eBay for $108.00 including shipping. I knew it was rough, but was hoping that the rear wheel at least would be usable. This old boy had been cannibalized pretty thoroughly. The wheels are not worksman, but some kind of cheap and much rusted balloon tires of more recent vintage. The spokes alone are a dead giveaway, being much too small a gauge. I already knew the handlebar and goose-neck were rusty, the seat and seat post long gone, without fenders or chain guard. I knew all this, yet seeing it in living color (red and rust) I momentarily questioned the wisdom of my purchase. Still, what I wanted was the strong frame for the foundation of a cruiser build. The frame is very good, as is the front fork. The welds look really good to my eye. It is the starting point and will get built up on a budget from there. Don't get your hopes up that this is going to be an astonishing build from a master builder. I am a craftsman of sorts in other things... woodworking, stained glass, leather work, but a tinkerer only when it comes to motorbicycles. With that disclaimer out of the way, I do hope to end up with a classy ride on my limited budget.
Silverbear

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
To get some new perspective I dug out my parts from a 1940 Elgin I had at one time planned to restore until the frame disappeared... a mystery still unsolved. When I bought this worksman I had in mind using the Elgin parts to complete it. You can tell from the photos below that nothing is attached, but is just sitting there roughly balanced. You can at least get an idea of what I am thinking. I'm unsure about the fender skirts on this bike, but will proceed as if there are going to be part of the final version. I am picturing a deep blue, a cobalt blue, a blue so inviting that you want to dive in and swim around. I may not be able to get a great paint job, but I'll do my best and it will look good. I may go with a second color for accent on the fender tips where it had been white or cream colored at one time. I'll prbably go with black. Not much contrast, I know, but I want this bike to look substantial and all business. About the only chrome on this build will be the Kawasaki front fender light and the headlight. The pedal crank will need to be changed since I want a pull start 80cc slant head for the engine. It will get new wheels, heavy duty rims with 12 gauge spokes.
I sat my old Dax 80 in the frame to see how it fit and it is going to be a challenge getting it tucked in there. The intake may need to be altered and the slant head facing forward will be a help since the spark plug would otherwise be running into the lower cross bar. The Elgin seat post is a smaller diameter, so that needs some pondering. I'm open to suggestions other than expensive ones. And I have a pretty thick skin, so if you don't think something works it is fine to say so. I may like your idea better than my own. This is going to be pretty much a winter project, so there's plenty of time to think things through.
Silverbear

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I think the fender skirts would look awesome painted the blue you have in mind but put a piece of sheetmetal behind them and paint that gloss black. Would give them more if a fender skirt look instead of a skirt protector look.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A few hours or sanding & a couple of cans of spray bomb... That's gonna look real nice! ;)
(engine paint works well against gas!!)

Last edited:

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I thought the fender skirts were actually skirt guards from a ladies bike. That is were I have seen them before. I never thought about them on a mens bike. With the right paint scheme it could look pretty cool though.

Jim

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I thought the fender skirts were actually skirt guards from a ladies bike. That is were I have seen them before. I never thought about them on a mens bike. With the right paint scheme it could look pretty cool though.

Jim
Hey Jim,
No, I've never seen fender skirts on a men's bike either. But I have these from that old 1940 Elgin and like them. The elgin skirts were about the coolest in my opinion. Kind of an art deco look suggesting motion. I guess ever since I started riding and putting motors on step through Americans I quit worrying about mens bikes vs women's bikes, my masculinity or any of that. I don't think about or care what anybody else thinks anyway. It hasn't stopped a lot of people from admiring my Americans, including the Harley boys. Most people don't even know what the fender skirts were for as they are even before my time... yes, back when girls actually wore dresses and skirts they sometimes got caught in the spokes, so the deluxe bikes had skirt fenders. I tend to use what I like and have especially if I like the way it looks. I'm still undecided for this Worksman. I think I'll prep them along with the bike and fenders and chain guard and reserve judgment until I have everything in primer and can get a better idea of how it all works together. They might not look right on this bike. What do you think?
Silverbear

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I did a little research on them a few weeks ago and I guess they were on some men's bikes too to keep your overcoat from getting in the spokes.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I did a little research on them a few weeks ago and I guess they were on some men's bikes too to keep your overcoat from getting in the spokes.
Makes sense. You have saved the day, sir. My manliness is not in question. It is all what you call something. Ladies bikes are actually "step through" bikes and skirt fenders are actually coat guards.. Now that has a manly sound to it, don't you think? "Coat guard".
I was riding in the truck with my youngest son today (he's about 30) and we were talking about how much we loved riding as kids. I told him when I was young I never saw a child sized bicycle. You went from tricycles to adult sized bikes. My sister helped me learn on a full sized cruiser type single speed. I was six and the men's bike had chunks of 2x4 taped to the pedals so that if I slid down on one side and then the other I could reach the pedals, sort of. She helped me balance up there and then gave a push. A number of crashes later I learned. My son and I were speculating why it is that boy's bikes have that crossbar which has resulted in a number of boys being sopranos for life. The girls don't have that problem with damaging the family jewels, so they are the ones who should have the cross bar and the poor boys should have the step through. Makes sense to me. My son felt that the first designer was probably a woman trying to get even. I think there may be a good chance of that.
Silverbear

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Funny you should say that silverbear, my first "big bike" was my sister's step through Schwinn with a springer fork, gas tank headlight and a rear rack, I could only ride it standing on the pedals. Soon after grampa bought me a "proper bike for a boy" a 20" Stingray clone.

Honestly now I wish I still had my first big bike just for the parts that were on it. lol

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Funny you should say that silverbear, my first "big bike" was my sister's step through Schwinn with a springer fork, gas tank headlight and a rear rack, I could only ride it standing on the pedals. Soon after grampa bought me a "proper bike for a boy" a 20" Stingray clone.

Honestly now I wish I still had my first big bike just for the parts that were on it. lol
Yeah, your sister's bike sounds like a winner. You don't happen to remember where you last put that bike, do you? You don't suppose it might still be there?
Silverbear

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey, SilverBear,Would you have to do a lot of surgery on the left to that beauty of a skirt in order to work your second chain?...Cheech
Yes, clearance with the engine drive chain is an issue. I placed it on one of the Americans with an engine and chain in place to get an idea before I ever got the Worksman and it looks like a little creative outward bending would take care of it. They are bent already and need some straightening in places, getting dings out, etc. so need reworking and never will be perfect. I could be wrong, but I think it could be made to work. Adjusting the tensioner could be a hassle, too, so it would be prudent to set up the "coat guard" fasteners with wing nuts or something like that which could be removed pretty easily. The question is whether or not all the hassle is worth it. At this point, I don't know.
Silverbear

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Makes sense. You have saved the day, sir. My manliness is not in question. It is all what you call something. Ladies bikes are actually "step through" bikes and skirt fenders are actually coat guards.. Now that has a manly sound to it, don't you think? "Coat guard".
I was riding in the truck with my youngest son today (he's about 30) and we were talking about how much we loved riding as kids. I told him when I was young I never saw a child sized bicycle. You went from tricycles to adult sized bikes. My sister helped me learn on a full sized cruiser type single speed. I was six and the men's bike had chunks of 2x4 taped to the pedals so that if I slid down on one side and then the other I could reach the pedals, sort of. She helped me balance up there and then gave a push. A number of crashes later I learned. My son and I were speculating why it is that boy's bikes have that crossbar which has resulted in a number of boys being sopranos for life. The girls don't have that problem with damaging the family jewels, so they are the ones who should have the cross bar and the poor boys should have the step through. Makes sense to me. My son felt that the first designer was probably a woman trying to get even. I think there may be a good chance of that.
Silverbear
That's because back in the day little girls wore dresses, so without the crossbar the dress would have room to fall and cover the legs. As far as the OP's bike, I vote for full fender skirts and a tank between the top tubes. That would look boss !! .......... ;)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's because back in the day little girls wore dresses, so without the crossbar the dress would have room to fall and cover the legs. As far as the OP's bike, I vote for full fender skirts and a tank between the top tubes. That would look boss !! .......... ;)
And that makes sense, too.
I've attached a thumbnail photo below showing the round tank I have taped into position between the crossbars. In some ways I like the look even if that particular one doesn't work, but a full tank built in would sure be better. However, I don't have those fabrication skills unless I went with fiberglass. I don't weld, but buying one would be the perfect answer if I had the do re mi, which I don't. I had given some thought to making a copper tank out of large diameter copper household drain pipe, so it would be a long cylinder between the crossbars. I had a house once that used copper for the septic drains and thought at the time it might make a nice gas tank with end caps soldered in place. I couldn't quite figure the fill pipe and cap, though. I wonder if there is some sort of copper plumbing clean-out fitting. I'll have to look in to that. What would you do?
Silverbear

Attachments

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
If you can make them work with the drive chain then I say go for it. I would very much like to see it work for you. Keep the pictures coming please.
Jim