What engine for a 4 wheeler...

GoldenMotor.com

the13bats

May 3, 2012
Orlando
I have been building recumbents, trikes, etc for about 25 years, for a while I have been drawn to the 4 wheelers, lay outs like the Rhoades car, I do not really like the upright sitting like on surreys, ( have one I never touch )

Anyway, I bought a 4 wheeler, looks factory made but after hours on Google I can't find one like it,
It doesn't get delivered until this weekend so no pictures just yet,
It is basically laid out like a Rhoades car but not as heavy a frame, the seating is for two with single bench, the steering is a wheel on one side with some controls on the wheel, both sides have 10 speeds,
The front steering set up is like I see on many tadpole trikes but not many 4 wheelers, coming off the frame is a tilted yoke that holds the spindle,
Basically the thing looks like an old Briggs and stratton 5 wheel car, ( with out the wood flooring )

So while I do want to peddle for exercise I want a engine for fun and when I need help,
I get thinking I'm well over 200 pounds myself, the bike is a bit heavier than an adult trike,
So to even just putter around at slower speeds I am going to need more than a little weed engine,
I was thinking 4 stroke 3-5 HP edger style engine like I used to make Go Karts with.

Since the thing already has that old look I was thinking to do the drive 5th wheel style, after looking at a few pictures I really do not see clearly how briggs drive their 5th wheel, I know one out would be just simple friction drive,

cvlt1

I have played with this style and I really don't like it that much so I was considering this style

.trlrl.

Seems I could use the rear of an old 20" bike, attach my engine to one side with a clutch and sproket but then I am thinking a 3-5 HP 4 cycle is going top be kind of heavy for side mounting...

So here I go let me hear some ideas and see some pictures of how people did a drive like what I am after....I'm open to all ideas.

Many thanks!
Cheers,
P.

the13bats

May 3, 2012
Orlando
I would check on your Laws in your state as some see anything with 4 wheels as a car and not a bicycle
You got me on that and gave me a good laugh....That was pretty much the one thing I didnt ask about...Lol
Where I live people zip around in golf karts, electric small transports, 4 wheel personal mobility devices etc etc, actually the people doing the engine kits on 2 wheelers are getting in all kinds of hot water driving wild and too fast, some have to ruin it for others.

No, what I want to build will not be street legal for major road ways but with 2 sets of pedals and an engine for help at times the fact that I am on side streets no one will care....sure, if I went blasting down the main drag one of the police who chances are know me by my first name would say something like they see I'm at it again and play closer to home. ( I build everything from street rods, to vettes to wild kit cars....after being in the same place over 40 years people tend to know the Eccentrics.

However,
The golf karts have a special tag that I could easily get on my machine if I desired to....all it requires is lights, horn and seat belts....its the same for many weird vehicals,

Okay, back to my threads topic, lol
I know at least a few people here have put engines on trikes or an extra wheel drive out the back ( heck, theres a smilely for that ) lets see a few drive trains....