A Newbies Experience/Reviews to buying motor kits

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
I got hurt bad in an accident working at my regular job and over the years it has taken its toll. I am no longer able to work in my field and needed a new hobby to keep myself busy. As usual I jumped in feet first to this hobby and had the idea I may possible make a business of building these bikes. Even if I do not make a business it is a great hobby to keep me busy and have some fun. I am mechanically inclined, super tinkerer, and Master Rigger extraordinaire. SO the plan was to invest enough to build 4 bikes to start. I actually got two free motors to start, see introduction thread I posted, but both of my friends had a change of heart after seeing me engage this hobby. I sold my first bike to the one guy and the second I gave him back his motor. Race day is set next month :)

So I bought 4 engines, some upgraded parts, and 2 bikes to get started. I have a little experience under my belt from the first build and ready to go full bore. This is my experience and review of what I experienced as a newbie. I have dealt with 6 distributors buying the motors and different upgrade parts. My plan to build more bikes for sale after the original 4 and it created a situation where I wanted to find a reliable source and good company to work with.

My plan a simple one: 1.) Order something 2.) Try to contact company through calling, email, and web 3.) Rate the Company on shipping and communication.

Kings Motors: I bought a motor kit from them it took the longest to get here. I sent email asking a simple question through web and called. Never got a reply from the email I never got a live person on phone. The kit was as described.

Bike Berry: Ordered Motor Kit from them and it got here fast and was as described. I also ordered some misc pieces and they too shipped fast and as described. However, I never got a reply to 2 emails through web asking a simple question. I tried calling three times and was on hold for ever each time and just gave up twice. I finally stuck it out the third time and 40 minutes later got someone one the line. Although they tried to be helpful I was better off coming to this forum to answer questions as the representative knew less then me.

Manic Mechanic: Wanted to order an upgrade part. Hits Big Red Button sounds like (ANNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTT). Wow what a disappointment. It looks like he makes good stuff but buy from a supplier of his skip any attempt to deal with him straight.

Pirate: These guys will get all my extra parts business. Nice website and on the ball in terms of promises and business. I wish I knew more about the business as I think these guys will shine even brighter when I dive deeper into the business. I would use my experience with them as a positive reason to buy motor kits, and still may, but planning to buy 4-8 motors at a time I think the last reference is better for me.

Biketomopedkit: WOW! I bought a motor kit from them and sent out my emails and called. I received an immediate response to email; they had a genuine concern for service, and a lot of experience with their products. The service was so good I ordered a second motor kit. Interestingly I had a small issue with this second order but when I called I was received with kindness, understanding, and interest. The issue was resolved immediately and with out question. What a relief to be dealt with in such a professional manner and with such a low key positive attitude. Being a curmudgeon by nature I tested the technician buy keeping him on the phone longer then I needed to. This guy seemed like he would talk all day solving the issue and was not rushed to get off phone one bit. I was able to pick his brain a bit and get information I can use at a later date as well. I feel confident that these guys would have my back if I developed into a larger business and used them as the source for kits.

Anyway, I thought I would discuss my experience so if you are considering getting into this market and making the leap as an individual or small business you had some current information to help make a decision on where to buy.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
So I thought I would update this a bit as I have ordered several upgrades and made a few more calls.

BikeBerry: I ordered a feww items from them for a friend and then the same day some things for me. Turns out the first order was for my friend and when I made the second order later that day those items remained in my cart and I duplicated the first order. Not a big deal really as I didnt mind having extra stuff. I decided to cal lthem though becasue I am going to order 10 motors and I wanted to get a price on that and shipping comparing it to another vendor.

Turns out this time my call was answered immediately and I got someone with a lot of experience this time. At this point I think I will stick to purchasing the motors from bikestomoped but I feel confident if I ordered from bikeberry they would be good to do business with too.

Since the first writeup I have ordered from JNMOTORS, PISTONBIKES, and SICKBIKEPARTS too :) ( ok im addicted)

These were just misc orders for different stuff. I am trying out different carbs, manifolds, and other little stuff. I really liked purchasing from all of these distributors. Fast shipping, good packaging, and products as described!

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Well yea, but it is the best thing that has happened to me for awhile. I went from working 6 days a week 14 hour days for 30 years to be pulled out of bed by two nurses for 4 months :) And then al lthe happy crap PT and 100,000 vicodin later they tell me to stop working ( hard labor) or I will end up crippled or worse. Doc said get a hobby - I did - wee wittle bicycles go vroooommmm....

God I hope I dont plant my ass in a tree or something :)

hmmmm gunna head over to Phantom Bikes see what they got ...weee.....

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
More updates:

So since I am considering making a local business of this I thought I would try some different carbs and see what all the hoopla is about.

SO off to JNMOTORS and I ordered an NT and tried to order the Modified carb. Got the NT but I guess the Mod Carb is out of stock and I missed it. But I got a call from them and it was a very thoughtful and considerate call. They asked what my idea was ordering all the carbs and I told them. I got a 15 minute lesson on carbs from them and the differences which I really enjoyed.

He told me it would be a few weeks to get the modified carb out and I told him I didn’t mind. He suggested for my purposes though I should really get the performance carb. It was 20 bucks more and he said he would throw in a few free goodies to offset the price difference. He really felt it met my requirements best. SO I did send them the 20 but got 25 dollars worth of other goodies free.

I forgot to ask him something then so later I called back the next day. I didn’t get an answer and really didn’t want to bug them so I didn’t leave a message. 10 minutes later I get a call back :) I ordered the exhaust header to get more clearance for the muffler earlier which I had already in procession. I told him the header was not clearing one fin on the motor and asked how they handled it. He said a few motors are like that and he then went into a great description of what they do. It is detailed so I won’t elaborate but it was awesome idea that really makes the motor look cool.

I have to say dealing with JNmotors is a pleasure. They really seem to enjoy what they are doing and are very knowledgable and willing to share that experience freely.

Also, BIKETOMOPED called me back with a follow up to see how things went and to give me a status report on the issue I had. We had a great talk about motors - china - and stuff and I learned a lot from him.

Im an easy going guy and fun to talk to so I guess this is reflective on the service I get. I understand business and relize things dont always go right. I look for solutions not problems and I am never in a hurry. But I thin kboth these businesses are great so far and good people to deal with.

If anything changes I will post here or anythng new I will also...

This thread wouldnt be a bad place to tell of your experiences too as it seems a lot of new comers, like myself, could benefit from this. I would like to keep it positive though and post good service here if you are so inclined. Leave the bad stuff for somewhere else :)

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
PISTON BIKES
I order my first kit ever from Piston's. Around Nov. 2011. It was a 68.5cc Jet engine kit ( PK80 ). It seem to me that I only had a few good options to order a kit from, so I pick piston. And also half of the other places didn't have kits anyways. Before I order, I had a few questions. Piston's answered all my questions and phone calls. They sent out the kit the same day I order it. Fast shipping too.
It seem to me that piston's had open the kit and check it for me. The kit was in great condition, nothing was broken. The gas tank was super clean, NO rust. The engine had grade 8.8 bolts on it. The engine was nice,clean inside and out. Iam very happy with my order. Yes I will order from them again.

Last edited:

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Yes I ordered parts from piston as well, not an engine though, and they had very fast shipping and were knowledgable when I called. Seems some of these companies really enjoy what they do and it shines when thye speak with you.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Well after dealing with almost every company, and some of the bigger one more then once, I really have to say sticking to the smaller guys is the best. I have some updates on Bikeberry we will see how the latest development works out.

With the larger companies though you can get real jerks or great people it really is hit or miss.

But dealing with the smaller companies EVERYONE of them have such a great passion for what they do it is contagious and exciting. For my money I would rather support a company like that.

haha just wait to read this email I got from bikeberry on a simple question/simple issue. You wont believe it. But will wait until resolved.

Cudos to Venice, Piston, SBP, Pirate, JNmotors,and spookytooth ( if I left one out sorry) but what a pleasure supporting your services and getting help and questions answered. The passion is appreciated!

Last edited: