Help me build the best motor bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Alex

Dec 24, 2007
Lets set aside money as a non factor. What would be the best bike motor I could buy? Also what would be the best modifacations I could make.

Background- Helicopter Mechanic

Bike Goal- Looking cool over speed. 150 MPG

Extras- Is there anything like saddle bags for bikes? I dont want the basket on the handle bars.

All input will be welcomed!

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
There are so many options out there. I suggest taking your time to decide what look you want. I am partial to 2 cycles because I like the looks (miniature engine). Not too fond of 4 strokes (mainly looks), as a reliable motor I'm sure there are pros and cons to each. Style of bikes is unlimited... if budget is no concern (you can buy billet wheels for $1200.) I'd go as radical as I could. Make sure that the bike you choose has some kind of suspension, either quality forks or a good seat, or both. I think it boils down to what "You" like. Old school Board Racers or radical stretches. Check out some of these bikes....http://www.firebikes.com/gallery.htm

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
awesome link. just what i have been trying to find. next bike i take my time with and make a show bike which of course i will ride the heck out of.

Alex

Dec 24, 2007
There are so many options out there. I suggest taking your time to decide what look you want. I am partial to 2 cycles because I like the looks (miniature engine). Not too fond of 4 strokes (mainly looks), as a reliable motor I'm sure there are pros and cons to each. Style of bikes is unlimited... if budget is no concern (you can buy billet wheels for $1200.) I'd go as radical as I could. Make sure that the bike you choose has some kind of suspension, either quality forks or a good seat, or both. I think it boils down to what "You" like. Old school Board Racers or radical stretches. Check out some of these bikes....http://www.firebikes.com/gallery.htm
Awesome bikes. How do they ride?

sonny

Dec 31, 2007
I looked over http://www.firebikes.com/gallery.htm
Those bikes are indeed awesome. I have been lurking out of curosity but seeing just how cool they are has made me become complety interested. It kinda of reminded me of yesteryear when as kids we would take old bike frames a saw the front forks off and then bang them onto our new bikes and make a chopper. Of course that rag tag quality was noting as spectacular as the photos Red provided. I was amazed to see such spectacular bikes.

I suppose its time to save a few bucks up and get started. I have to confess, though, that reading these small motors can get up to 200 miles per gallon is a clincher. What a perfect way to help the enviroment and save money as well.

Real nice site and it looks like a lot of work has gone into it. It seems that you have me "hooked" now and I hope to get a lot more information. Thanks this is truly going to be tons of fun..

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Best Bike possible

Hi, I've not heard it here, so I'll be the first. Beyond a shadow of a doubt in this country the best bicycle engine is the Whizzer.

Qualified as a Moped in many states, 138cc, alternator on board which is capable of full-time running a 25 watt headlite, 6 watt taillite, and 21 watt brakelite! All in 12v no fooling around looking for 6 volt stuff.

No need to buy 250.00 nuvinci rear hub, no jackshafting, no extra chains, and cvt or reduction boxes.

30 mph right out of the box, speed equiptment is availble, 40 mph is easy, and even more is availble.

One might think, what more would you want from a Motor Bicycle?

It is quiet (dot, epa and CARB approved) but can easily be made louder if you wish NO PEDALLING needed, tho you can pedal should you wish.

"Ride one, and you'll buy one"

Mike

Attachments

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Best Bike availble

Hi, and thanks for the nice comments! When I posted my red Whizzer I neglected to tell you-all that I did install a couple options on that basicly stock Red Whizzer.

I have added the rear Carrier (about 60.00), the right hand mirror (about 25.00), the chrome fender tips (out of [email protected]), Saddle bags (leather I stock them, about 75.00) I switched out the Whitewalls for Blackwalls.

I have also installed the Setback seatpost (about 25.00), and the Whizzer license plate frame (about 20.00). I also made a performance muffler insert.

There are other options, these are what I have chosen, and it rides very well.

I'm going to upload pics of my Model 09, which I believe to be an example of the finest Motor Bicycle available in this country.

Mike

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Simpson Model 09, Model 10

Hi, well now I'm ready to tell, and show what I believe to be the finest Motor Bicycle available to build.

I began building the Model 08 series in '06, sold the 10 of those, built this 09, but was unsatisfied with it.

I had the model 08 chopped to become the Model 10, sent it off as running prototype to be reverse engineered, and built anew. BUT I still had the unacceptable Model 09 at my place.

I chopped the drop-outs out of the 09, made new ones on my little table saw, welded them in myself, and reworked the prototype. I sent her off to powder, with my new Exposed OHV engine.

I now have Model 10's for sale, tho I've not finished my own yet, so here is the Model 09 Prototype, my personal bike. Yet unfinished, but close, I will post more when I get pics taken of the continuing improvements.

Mike (well I'm trying, I'll check the photo instructions again)

Attachments

biker

Dec 28, 2007
i am amazed how big this really is. all the choices out thier the designs etc. about have the wife talked into letting me build one. you all do not realize how much i apreciate you telling about these motor bicycles. i am in northern ohio so winter time but i will have one and take my time building thru the winter and be ready for spring. thier is so much to learn. those whizzers are beautiful. they look like the harley davidson of motor bicycling

ChrisHill

Manufacturer/Dealer
Hi Red...those are awesome bikes at firebikes.
Those Whizzer's are awesome too, but are they still considered a bicycle?

Alex I think your ultimate bike depends more on your personality than anything else. There are a lot of cookie-cutter designs that can be had but do not reflect a person's personality the way they should...therefore a person will never be truly happy with what they have. There are a lot of custom bike builder's out there as well that can provide you with the ultimate in coolness, but the question is still there...does it match your personality?
Have you ever thought of designing your own bike and hand building it yourself?

These pics are not mine, but I feel obligated to share them anyways. I used to live a few houses away from this guy and he does awesome work...he's also a great inspiration for those of us that dream of the "perfect bike". I tried to put up a few other pics as well but it seems as though they are too large of a file size. I'll try to get in touch with Brad, and see if he would mind a link to his website to be posted on here.

If you can sketch the way you think your dream bike should look, you should be able to build it if you have some time and patience.

Attachments

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
Re: Help me build the best bike

Make sure that the bike you choose has some kind of suspension,
bike i have is a combo road/off road so do you know if that suspension would be good or would this be an aspect to replace if i do this??

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

the suspension should be fine for a motorized bicycle fireopal. i have a regular beach cruiser and the only suspension is a suspension seat post. i use my bike for traveling and not on the trails. tire presure plays a big key on the smoothness of your ride

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

A front fork suspension is a big plus. and good comfortable to you seat is a must. Whizzers are nice bikes but where I live they are considered a motorcycle or at least a moped. So far the H/T engined bikes are considered motor assisted bicycles at least where I live so good luck on what ever you get.
Norman

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

Earlier in this thread you guys were asking about Firebikes. I have a 2007 Morgtician that I would not reccomend putting an engine on. Mine has too much rake for comfortable ridding, there is some wheel flop and it takes every inch of a two lane road to turn it around. I have ridden the Dyno/Kustom Kruiste streach which is as long as mine and they handle sooo much better and I would not be afraid to power one up...Kelly

Here is my Firebike at the Grand Rapids Autorama a couple of weeks ago.

15rms

Jan 9, 2008
Biker take a look at Lightfoot Cycles. Lightfoot Cycles - The Lightfoot Ranger It is a custom build recumbent shop. I had them build me a Ranger with a Robin/Subaru 1.6 HP engine. Runs through the back 8 speed cassette. Mine has a full fairing. Being from Ohio you could use that in the cold. I can't say enough good about my bike. The most comfortble you could ever find. Fast! The quality is next to none. Good Luck.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Nice, and they use the cassette? So operation is sorta like an automatic but you have to manually select the gear?

That Looks like a hardcore road bike my friend!