First build advise wanted

GoldenMotor.com

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
my 1st bicycle was/ is a delmar , the only thing left original is the frame & seat post clamp
i made them pull near every one out from the back , but i settled on the blue
after 1,000 + miles it only needs wiped down , still looks & works great
get lock tite & always do your pre ride checks & you'll do well

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ok im kind of going against the kinds of bikes you've said you wanted but...

A 90's steel MTB is the most reliable and easiest build by far. You can buy one for like $150 on Craigslist and they come w/ good brakes, nice parts, and the're strong! Look for non wally world brands, good brands are trek, specialized, schwinn, etc. (stay away from huffy / magna etc.)

The tubing is usually the perfect size for a china motor as well!

-MOTO .wee.
This is great advice, really is. I once found a killer 1960's, rock solid Schwinn @ a local Salvation Army store for $8 because it was missing a pedal. Now I can't drive past thrift stores, yard sales or junk yards.

3 junkers will a great bike make, snork

andrewinfl

Mar 22, 2013
Florida
Ok so I went with a schwinn del mar. I kept looking for a nice old bike to build up but could not find one.

I almost went with a huffy cranbrook in white and blue for the looks but the rims looked really really bad.

Man this thing is a pain to put together. Mostly because I don't have the right tools.

Most studs changed out to grade 8. piston cut on intake. very little porting, my porting tools are in another state...

Had to make the sprocket whole bigger. Duck taped the rims, the tubes looked like junk. I almost went back to the store to buy some better ones but figured I'll run them till they pop.

The engine is rigged into place for sure, but my tools and work shop are very limited.

Photos to come very soon. Almost put it back together with one head gasket but decided against it. I have a bpr7hix plug in it right now, the stock one was a little too short.

I was going to get a better chain but I dont have one right now. So I'm just going to put it together. How many links do I need if I do buy another chain?

I noticed the schwinn clairmont has forks that hold v brakes and looks the same size head tube. Where can i buy just the forks for a clairmont?

Well its hard to make everything perfect when your starting with mostly junk anyway.... haha.

andrewinfl

Mar 22, 2013
Florida
The dremmel bits i was trying to use for the pistion were not working. I actually used a grinder with a 180 grit pad on there. Very crude but the final product was nice. The intake was for sure blocked by the skit. I want to port the exhuast pipe a little but i dont have the right tool...

andrewinfl

Mar 22, 2013
Florida
I have the polished side of the sprocket facing out. The way it looks like it should go on. I read some people put it on the other way. I hope things line up for me, I do not want to have to re do it.

Spoooooky

May 31, 2013
Holiday, FL
My first build I had to re-do the sprocket multiple times, loads of trial an error with alignment.

Also, I helped my friend build a del mar and it's pretty solid for how cheap it is. It's also a nice smooth ride after some tinkering.

andrewinfl

Mar 22, 2013
Florida
I rode the bike to work. Cool for what it is. Lots of vibrations in the top end. Now I see why people balance the cranks. My back fender vibrated loose and slid over my tire. I fell off hard at 20 mph. Really late at night, in clearwater FL. Hit my head real good. I got in a taxi and left the bike where it was. I went back in the morning to look for it with no luck. Put an ad in craigslist for it also some flyers. There was only one bolt I did not lock tight. The fender mount under the seat. Thats the one that came loose. I'm really bummed about it.

The photo is before it was finished.

Attachments

andrewinfl

Mar 22, 2013
Florida
Bike found, I'm amazed. I called the police today, they had it. I went down and picked it right up. The lights and mph computer were still on it. All cops did was drain gas. Someone removed the rear fender for me (it was broken).

Crazy.

Checked all other bolts on bike. Then I did the carb mod described on the forum. Carb mod worked nice.

andrewinfl

Mar 22, 2013
Florida
Let me see if I can find the exact thread. What I did was buy a # 60 drill bit, also known as a .04 or a .4, I'm not sure. I looked it up online #60 drill bit was equivialnd to "about" one millimiter. Drilled throught carb bottom into intake on carb after main jet. (i know that makes no sense). Then I cut a slot out of the throttle slide congruant to the hole I just made..... let me try and find the thread that had this all recorded correctly...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Let me see if I can find the exact thread. What I did was buy a # 60 drill bit, also known as a .04 or a .4, I'm not sure. I looked it up online #60 drill bit was equivialnd to "about" one millimiter. Drilled throught carb bottom into intake on carb after main jet. (i know that makes no sense). Then I cut a slot out of the throttle slide congruant to the hole I just made..... let me try and find the thread that had this all recorded correctly...
Heres the thread on the idle mod.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=1494.