Ok front brake question.

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
So I put a caliper rear brake on today and of course have the coaster brakes but everyone says front brakes. So ok I have a hole in the 3G bike front fork to take caliper brakes there. So I will add them.

I was thinking to just go with two handles the clutch and the front brake will be on that side in this case. I was thinking these front brakes really would only be used in an emergency so I thought I would set them at about 45 degree's angle below the clutch lever. Assuming in an emergency I would just hit all brakes at once and not really worry about clutch in this type situation, the result stop fast and motor stall.

I saw the dual clutch brake thingy but not sure of the quality so any opinion on those or how I plan on setting up front brake lever?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I use the dual brake (its not a dual clutch brake thingy) handle/lever...wouldn't want it any other way. Clutch on the left, brake on the right. I don't pull the clutch handle unless I'm moving slow, as I don't want the engine to stall out.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur... I love the dual pull brake levers! (^)
I prefer to have my MBs set up the same as motorcycles, (brake on the right, clutch on the left)... It keeps things simple. ;)

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Yea I saw that one too. So that one actually applies both brakes from one handle on the right then i guess? Not sure I would like that but maybe; Can I set the pressure to the front brake weak and the rear strong?

I prefer to have a weak front brake so at full pressure applying lever the front tire will not lock up and the back one will.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
f, I'm on the other side of the coin... lol

my front brake lever is on left, and mounted above the clutch lever, which is tucked down underneath it. It's a bit awkward, getting at the clutch, and setting it's button, but I just don't use the clutch very much.

To me, the front brake is most important.

I don't mind being the odd man out! lol

Best
rc

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Because only American noobs run the front brake on the left. Some kid in the 80s supposedly died from an endo when the first good cantilevers came out, so someone sued the bike companies.

Really, whatever works for you is good, just it really throws people off (pun) if they ride a bike and the brakes are backwards.
http://www.bicycle.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/endo-king.jpg

Bikeberry sells a v-brake with a gear shifter pod that can be used to pull in the clutch. That looks like the way to go.

Dual pull brakes just unnerve me. The only people I ever saw use them, before I got into motor bicycles, were people with hand injuries. I suppose if you set it up so the front one pulled first or hardest, it could be useful, but I'd still be afraid of the back tire skidding.

Me too. Wonder why they set up bicycles with the front brake on the right?

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Fug, you could just move the caliper to the front and get a new cable. I am using a v-brake and coaster brake, with clutch at left and brake at right.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
A dual brake lever can be adjusted for different front and rear bias. If you prefer to have rear brakes that come on sooner and grab harder you can adjust for that. Can even be mounted on the center of the handlebar if you want. Front brake lever on the right, clutch on the left gives more of a motorcycle feel IMO.

flmotorbikes

Mar 23, 2012
Florida
I had a dull brake lever but the problem is most of them including mine
Aren't ajustable in their stock condition. I had to add a spacer to the rear
brake cable to make it grap the lever harder

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Just ditch the rear brake altogether and use your right lever for the front brake. This is how real motorbikes are anyways so if you ever plan on riding one, this is how you want your brakes setup. If you're afraid you're going to flip over the handlebars the first few times just think of it this way: Would you rather flip over the handlebars on a bicycle at 15mph or on a real motorbike at 50?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Uh neither :)

Hey fugit, I've been using the dual pull lever for YEARS on a LOT of different builds. You had it right all by yourself the first time. If you adjust the brakes with the stop power on the front then first time you hit sand, gravel, water, oil, ect, ect, ect, the front is gonna slide out on you and you'll be on yer bum. I'm not even talking about an emergency stop. On a "just a bike" cycle you have the brakes separate. You can get off the front if it starts to slide or you see you're starting to run into carp. With the dual pull you can't let up on the front on a whim. So unless you live in that magic city where theres never carp in the road, adjust your dual pull brake lever with most of the stopping power on the rear. Adjust it the other way and you'll adjust it back the first time you have to hit your brakes hard in sand, gravel, water, oil, ect, ect, ect.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Then obviously you don't ride it much or else you would have noticed your right hand controls the front brake.
Or maybe you can’t read that well. So you could go reread the entire post and chime in with positive input or go find another thread to pester with your presumptuous thought processes.

The question was how different people installed front brakes on Motorized Bicycles not Motorcycles. It outlined my plan and logic then asked for input from other more experienced MOTORIZED BICYCLE riders, again not motorcycle drivers. Then I asked what people’s choice or ideas were about existing duel systems and the like.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
I read just fine but obviously you don't - seeing as you took my sound advice, took it out of context, twisted my question and then replied with your ridiculous txt-tlk post.

Look in the mirror my friend.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I read just fine but obviously you don't - seeing as you took my sound advice, took it out of context, twisted my question and then replied with your ridiculous txt-tlk post.

Look in the mirror my friend.
You're both right, kinda. A motorcycle front brake lever (from the factory,) is on the right, But it can be set up for the rear brakes if you wanted to. A motorized bicycle REAR brake CAN be on the right. You can also set it up any way you want. You're talking apples and oranges. So lets not get into a sidetracked discussion about what side a motorcycle brake lever is on. Instead, lets just get back to MB's and the best way to set up a set of brakes that work and are safe.
So you have a choice to make. Do you set dual brakes up with two levers? Do you set up just front or just rear? Do you use a dual pull lever and if so, how do you set it up, stop power in front or rear? I have my own ideas on how to set them up depending on the bike, but I have only one rule I never break. If it's a coaster brake bike I ALWAYS put another brake of some kind on it. I will NEVER trust a coaster brake only at 35 or 40mph.
Big Red.