What stops you from using dirt-bike engines?

GoldenMotor.com

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
With the amount of work I see you guys put into squeezing some of the most ridiculous engines in your frames including building frames from scratch, what stops you from just getting something like this?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2913384921.html

It's far more attractive than any HF engine out there and it's complete with gears, no need for shifter kits.

*please note that is not my engine, I don't know that person, I just came across it while looking for bike stuffs.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
That is not my argument at all. I didn't say use a dirt-bike frame, I just said use a dirt-bike engine. As far as size? Is that even an issue? Look at this thing, it's HUGE. I'm trying to figure out why this is a better idea.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Like Aleman said legality. In Texas that bike would be considered a motorcycle, even with peddles.

OTOH if you're planning to make a motorcycle that motor would be alright I guess.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Big motor.... better have even bigger brakes

right now I have a ktm 250cc and a honda 125cc dirt bike motors and I will not use either of them in a bicycle frame as the frames will NOT hold up under that amount of power. People break bicycle frames with Just a 48cc 2stroke Ht. What do you think a 250cc 2stroke would do to the same frame?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
With the amount of work I see you guys put into squeezing some of the most ridiculous engines in your frames including building frames from scratch, what stops you from just getting something like this?
Not much... distance?
and I already got one.
(It's under the kitchen table.)

really

Got a honda vfr out there, and the harley is really took apart...

I just like bicycles.
They are an excellent means of transport, and the motor assist helps a lot!

Very inexpensive, a complete package universal application design... Gosh, what's NOT to like!

As far as using 'unusual' engines, Gosh!!!! What a challenge!
To resurrect something that was otherwise headed for the foundry, and create some bit of entertaining transportation with it... Wonderful!

Welcome aboard Motorbicycling.com !
We do a LOT of fun stuff here.

Best
rc

a PROUD member of the 20mph Club!