New Recumbent Build

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Lazarus and I went on a shakedown cruise to Stans Rock and Roll bike shop in Nstchez. Stan wanted to see my bike when I got it on the road. Made some favorable comments and asked a lot of questions. Then I met my sister and brother at Biscuits and Blues owned by my friend Peter Troshclair. Peter had to give me a little guff for parking right in front of his window. One of the staff came out(a lady) and asked lots of questions and took a bunch of pictures of the bike. Said she wanted to show them to her husband as he was interested in bikes. It was hot as heck but the bike gave no trouble and shifted just fine. image.jpg
This was the fastest that I went on this trip. I never got into toe top two gears but I don't think it has much more in it maybe hit 40 mph. After I get the fairing on I think at least 45 on flat ground on a calm day. It will cruise at 30 to 35 all day without breaking a sweat. I am satisfied. By the way this engine has 2500+ miles on it!

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd say you've already gotten your money's worth out of that engine. Pretty good performance for just 79CCs! Plus you've got spare engines sitting on the shelf.
SB

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I'd say you've already gotten your money's worth out of that engine. Pretty good performance for just 79CCs! Plus you've got spare engines sitting on the shelf.
SB
Yep I think I got my money's worth since I only paid $25.00 for it at Dirt cheap. They used to sell returned engines from HF. Supposed to be something wrong with them, that one needed a spark plug to crank! The other two were priced within a few dollars. And all were good with minor repairs!
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Went to get my daughters suburban on Lazarus. I had installed the fairing and hit 38.8 mph on the way over. Still not max but didn't have room for more.
Elmo

image.jpg

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
More aggravation today. I have to replace the hub. The free hub is toast and is a formula brand. I ordered a shimano hub should be here this week. Then measure the rim and hub and order spokes. Then build the wheel. No hill for a stepper.
Elmo:-||

P.S. If it was easy every body would be building one!

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I received a new set of jackshaft adapters from Staton and dug out a rear wheel from my spares so I can ride while waiting for the spokes to get here. Back in the lawn chair again!
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Re: New Recumbent Build (on the road again)

Got the new jackshaft set up, a new rear chain fitted, and put the cassette on the spare wheel. Took it for a four mile ride this afternoon and everything works as it should. Now if my spokes would come in.
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I took Lazarus out for a ride this morning, 16 miles with no problems! I have 50 miles on it now. I am going to put another 100 miles on it and if everything goes well I will strip it down, put it in the blast cabinet and paint it! It surely looks scabby now!
Elmo

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I took Lazarus out for a fifty mile ride this morning. I rode around town, went to the post office, visited the grand kids, went to the gas station and topped off the tank. Took a quart. I hit the Natchez Trace and just rode and enjoyed. No problems. I averaged 21 mph for the 50, wasn't in any hurry just enjoying the ride. Had an old guy( older than me) follow me to the post office and looked over the bike. He said that they should run a picture and article in the local paper. I guess he liked it. Traffic was light on the trace I saw maybe five cars. It just don't get any better than this! I do have one change that I am going to make. I have always laced the seat with bungee cord but since I didn't have any I decided to use rope. Not the most comfortable. So I am going to order some 3/8" bungee cord and relace the seat. With bungee cord it is almost like having a suspension bike.
Elmo

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Went for a ride to the grocery store this morning. When passing a friends house he motioned me over. After talking a while he said I have something for your bicycle. He went inside and came out with these! I am proud to fly Old Glory!

image.jpg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I fly one from my pull behind kiddie trailer and also have one on my canoe sidecar. Old fishing rods make good masts. I think they raise visibility quite a lot.
SB

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have two golf hole flag rods that my brother got at a garage sale that I am going to use when I get some larger flags. The poles are about six feet long and very sturdy and were free! I want two flags, one American and one Mississippi one 18 or so inches tall.
Elmo