48cc vs 66cc

GoldenMotor.com

1ceCold037

Mar 1, 2010
Reseda, CA
Alright guys I've been wondering about this for a while now. Everytime I purchase an engine kit I can't figure out why the smaller 48cc models are always more expensive than the 66cc. Doesn't the smaller engine go slower? Why would it be more expensive? Today I was looking to purchase a slant head motor but they didn't have one for larger 66c engine so I ended up getting a 48cc slant head motor. I'm wondering if I will see a performance increase with the smaller slant head motor vs the 66c (non slant head) I usually purchase.

I've built about 5 bikes so far always with the bigger 66c (non slant head) motor and can never seem to go faster than 28mph. Do you think this 48cc slant head will go faster?

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
actually jag said it loses power, to paraphrase him: 'I thought the 0.8mm squish band would increase power but I actually lost some. Turns out the angle fire offsets the spark plug and removes it from the intake charge'. This guy has studied and experimented like crazy on these little things, honestly, I'd heed his warning, however no harm in experimentation. the puch high compression heads to my knowledge not only add even more compression, but puts the spark plug back in the center of the intake charge for a more complete combustion, two prong attack to increase power.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
I think the 48cc motors are cheaper because they're actually under the legal size limit for most states. The 66cc is technically too large to be legal under most moped laws. Perhaps this makes for a higher demand for the 48cc engines? I doubt that you would gain power with the smaller engine, though apparently you will gain higher rev limit, which may equal higher (eventual) top speed. Still, what's the point of going 5mph faster if it takes you five more minutes to get there?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
wouldn't surprise me if I heard that 49s have about twice the longevity - but don't know for sure