Left Hand Gear Shifter

GoldenMotor.com

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I am looking for Shimano Nexus or compatible gear shifter that can work through or via left hand. I am thinking of this grip Amazon.com: Shimano Nexus-Revoshifter SL-8S20 Right Shifter - 8spd Black: Sports & Outdoors. But I am not sure if this will work back wards towards installing in the left handle bar. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

NOTE: My Nexus hub is an 8 spreed inter 8 premium edition http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Inter-8...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1260738028&sr=1-4 that is also compatible to Nexus Alphine Amazon.com: Shimano Alfine SGS501 32h Disc brake 8-spd Internal hub Black.: Sports & Outdoors.

Last edited:

scabz24

Oct 16, 2009
dunedin fl.
if the nexus has a gripshift type shifter just reverse it to the left side it should work fine the numbers will be backwards though.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
if the nexus has a gripshift type shifter just reverse it to the left side it should work fine the numbers will be backwards though.
I did the same. It's a 7 speed shifter. Cut the handgrips back so I could still reach the clutch. Looks and works fine. C'ept sometimes when I forget to shift down and have my clutch pulled in. Gotta kinda grab it with my finger tips. I'll take a piccy tomorrow.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Be careful in choosing your shifters for the Nexus hub. It can damage your hub if it's not compatible. I used a shifter for my Alfine and just reversed it on the left side.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Be careful in choosing your shifters for the Nexus hub. It can damage your hub if it's not compatible. I used a shifter for my Alfine and just reversed it on the left side.
There are several shifters for Premium Inter 8 and Alpine. Which one did you get and install at left handle bar? Both of these HUBS, premium inter 8 (the one with the red band) and Alpine are of similar design.

Thanks,
Ron

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
There are several shifters for Premium Inter 8 and Alpine. Which one did you get and install at left handle bar? Both of these HUBS, premium inter 8 (the one with the red band) and Alpine are of similar design.

Thanks,
Ron
I got the Alfine RapidFire Shifter LD825, and yes, the numbers are upside down, and shift under the handle. I tried the twist shifter before, but sometimes, they shift themselves, when you grab the handle bars in sudden bumps...

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Here's a piccy of my 7 speed shifter on left side with handgrips cut back.

If you have problems with the shifter shifting when you grab the handlebars, take the shifter apart and bend the bent metal spring that causes the shifter to ratchet a little wider. That should stiffen it up more.

shifter.jpg

Last edited:

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Here's a piccy of my 7 speed shifter on left side with handgrips cut back.

If you have problems with the shifter shifting when you grab the handlebars, take the shifter apart and bend the bent metal spring that causes the shifter to ratchet a little wider. That should stiffen it up more.

View attachment 17616
Thanks for the Pics Maxxi. Do you think SRAM is compatible with Premium Nexus 8? I may have to research it on the web too...