Whizzer Cam Timing

GoldenMotor.com

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Took my son's top end off a few weeks ago for some Quenton upgrading. Put it back together & it wouldn't run. Seemed like the timing was off. Checked tappet clearance, carb for dirt, cam timing ( had cam out to install mushroom lifters). Finally got on the phone with Quenton. Here when his bike was made in Taiwan they put the crankshaft timing gear in wrong. The mark was in the wrong place. I lined the cam up with the dot on the gear. To correct their problem they center punched another mark on the gear. After Quenton & I talked about this we agreed that the center punched mark is where we line up the cam gear mark. Works fine now. This must have been missed by Taiwan's Quality Control. :) Am I the only one who has had this problem?

Hi Jay,

After rebuilding 23 motors over the last couple of months, several had the timing gear installed wrong, marked wrong or in some cases the camshaft was advanced TWO teeth.
One of the motors had 4 marks on the crankshaft gear and 2 marks on the camshaft gear. I had to connect my dial indicators to get the valve timming correct on that motor, and none of the marks were correct.

Have fun,