idler pulley bolt thingy

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I need to move my idler pulley a few mm to the right, is the bolt thingy that connects the pulley to the bracket a common hardware store product or is it something that is unique? I need a slightly longer bolt thingy and use a few washers to get my chain lined up.

Sorry if this is kind of vague...I'm on my third gin and tonic

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Well since I'm on my second rum and coke, I think I should respond :)

If I understand you correctly, then yes. That should be a fastener you can find at a decently stocked hardware store.
Are you not able to bend that bracket in a way that keeps your chain aligned, and still get's it in to where you need it? I would try that first, if it's an option.

Good luck!

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
You should easily be able to make the required adjustment with that one.
You did right getting rid of the kit part- junk.
I actually take whatever extra time and headache needed to run my chains without one at all. Never a problem so far.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The concept is the best choice if you must use a tensioner. Spanning the seat and chain stays will assure the tensioner stays where you put it and can't loosen and rotate into the spokes with the expected results.

As for the kit supplied tensioner brackets, almost without exception they will need to be bent/twisted to some degree to achieve proper chain/sprocket/tensioner wheel alignment.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I sometimes cut a "C" shaped piece of old handlebar to put under the clamp of those - it'll move it a bit toward that side & give a better grip on the frame at same time

Last edited: