And so it begins, my first project....

GoldenMotor.com

Brad AZ

Oct 3, 2014
Arizona
Well, it's kind of my 2nd project, since I bought all of the bits once before, but this time I plan on assembling them. I ordered my engine tonight. 48cc Mega Motors Silver Bicycle Engine Kit- 2 Stroke from BikeBerry. If you've had a bad experience with this motor, keep it to yourself as the charge was already authorized. ;-) I think I've settled on the bike, but I will wait until I get the motor (engine for the purists) until I reveal that. Financing this with a seasonal job, so it may take the better part of the winter. Details to follow. (or a classified ad anyway)

Brad AZ

Oct 3, 2014
Arizona
Thanks guys. Motor is here. Going bike shopping tomorrow! I really want to do a cruiser. Iffy on the solo coaster brake, but we'll see.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool, Brad.

I'm also a huge fan of cruiser style bikes. Most just look old world, motorbike-ish.

There are a ton of Cruisers with 2 brakes and multi-geared. Lots of folks use coaster brakes and love em. I think they are a bit of a hassle in that ya have to have the pedals in the right position for taking off, as you stop for a lite or sign. Just me and a lot of folks really do like em and you can add front brakes.

Gears really do help for hills/take offs, assisting the engine and breakdowns/ran out of gas events. LOL, and all happen to most people but thinking due to your location, ya might be spared the hill thing.

This is an old thread but most of the bikes are still available.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6916

That whole section has some great information and well worth a look before shopping.

http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Also, some times you can get real lucky at thrift stores and yard sales. I once got an old Schwinn for $8 because it was missing a pedal.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW!
Nice bike should be a good build. If you are going to keep fenders you have to remount them using bolts instead of rivets with lock nuts. Make new heavier brackets. Do a search "how to mount fenders" There have been a lot of guys heart because of not mounting right.........Curt

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I gotta agree on the fenders too... they can hurt you if not mounted right... there are some threads on how to safely mount the fenders in here somewhere...
Now for my 2 cents on fenders, I usually go fenderless, but if fenders are needed, I really like those flexable plastic MTB fenders both for looks (they may look out of place on a cruiser build tho) and that they'll usually break away instead of catching on the wheels or slicing the rider up in the event of a chain failure, wreck, or blowout etc...

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
always remove your fenders or upgrade the mounts one of my friends broke his hand because his fender slipped into the tire locked up and threw him off at speed. had to get pins in his wrist and could never really ride the same anymore we had to put thumb throttle on his bike just so he could ride upgrade the mounts! also nice choice on bike ive ran that bike before kinda harsh on bumps but you get used to it