Need some help with upgrading my bike!

GoldenMotor.com

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Hey guys,

I finally installed a nice set of front brakes on my bike and I'm so damned excited to ride it again. I replaced my old cantilever brakes that didn't even really work (I'd rather spend 10 bucks on V brakes, than tune those stupid things).

Only thing holding me back from using this thing right now is the fact that my throttle cable snapped. I rigged it up to my rear brake lever for a while but that was before i replaced my front brake, and it is really scary only having a half-functional front brake to stop.

So here is my TODO list... but I need some help from the experts.

1. Remove that stupid brass cap covering my air/fuel mixture screw on my CNS carb without a dremel or a drill. Any suggestions? I don't really have any power tools at my disposal.

2. Get a 34-tooth drive sprocket, before I was hesitant to buy a gear upgrade, but with new brakes I'm not afraid anymore ahha. I weigh about 160lbs, will i still be able to get the bike moving without pedaling like I can with my 46-toother? I can seriously push off from the ground, no pedals, give it some gas and slowly let out the clutch to start hauling ass.

3. Get a small dirt bike gas tank. Anyone ever done this? It should fit right? I was asking one my friends who is a biker and he said he was thinking I could probably throw on a real motorcycle tank onto my bike. I don't like the aesthetics of the stock tank, and I want a bigger one in all honesty.

4. Install my new performance throttle! This one I don't need help with, it's a piece of cake!

5. Get an expansion chamber and louder bigger exhaust. Any suggestions of what to buy and where? I live in Ontario, Canada by the way.

Here is a picture of some work I did on it today, in my kitchen. Man it reeks of gas in here. Spent a bunch of money on accessories and cables, and crap that I've been meaning to get.

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Okay this is gonna sound really lame, but I did some research and I was thinking of maybe buying a 30 dollar CRF50 tank and some 20 dollar fairings for it, would that look stupid?
Man I think I'd have to do some sort of photomashup to see what it looks like haha. I imagine it would look kinda weird with no dirt bike seat...

edit: Photomashup:

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
One thing I will say to the post above is that, I run 32T 34T 36T sprockets on my three bikes and you will have to pedal up to at least probably 8-10mph before releasing the clutch for take off with a 34T driven sprocket, you might get by with doing what you been doing with a 40-41T but not a 34T for sure, by not pedaling up to a few mph before releasing the clutch you are really putting extra wear and tare on those clutch pucks, clutch will last much longer if you will pedal up to a little speed before you let it out, if your engine is basically stock I wouldn't go smaller than a 34T and that is if you mainly ride in areas that dont have any long or steep hills, I have a bike with a ThatsDax RT Dellorto Clone carb and a SBP Expansion exhaust pipe this engine is completely stock otherwise and it pulls a 36T just fine with my 200+lbs on it.
If you do put an expansion pipe on it and you have a well tuned carb, you should see a comfortable 32-34mph cruise speed on the flat with a top speed reaching around 38mph +/-? if all else is good.

Map
reddd

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Where can I get one of these in Canada?
http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/product_p/jnm1173.htm

How much better is the SBP pipe compared to this one:
http://www.motorizedbicycle.ca/exhaust-system/expansion-chamber.html
If you will port match the exhaust port to the Banana expansion pipe from motorizedbicyle.ca you will get a noticable power increase over the stock exhaust, since you live in Canada that one my be your best option, the SBP pipe flange has to be port matched also for it to perform like it should.

Map
reddd