leather and Motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
That seat is awesome. How much went into making it? Can they do darker shades like brown so dark it's almost black? That seat would be a nice finishing touch to my onyx boartracker/cruiser.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Not to be a stickler or anything, but shouldn't this thread be posted in the "Motorized Bicycle Accessories"?

And now it's starting to lean towards the "Motorized Bicycle Swap And Shop" forum.....is it not?

When I think of fabrication, leather never crosses my mind...
i am trying to show another way you can customize your bike by fabricating your own seats, saddle bags, tool pouches, gas tank covers, grips ect. leather can be molded a lot like clay and the uses on motorized bicycles are pretty limitless. I plan to help other members looking to make their own bags and stuff if they ask which is what this forum is about.
i did not put it in accessories because hand carved leather for bicycle accessories are not available and if you want them you have to fabricate your own.

master shake: leather can be made any color. they have a dark walnut which comes to mind to get the look you want. its really pretty easy to work with and the costs are not that bad if you watch for leather to go on sell

scotto: i am doing this for my own pleasure and motorized bicycle at this time not selling anything.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
i am trying to show another way you can customize your bike by fabricating your own seats, saddle bags, tool pouches, gas tank covers, grips ect. leather can be molded a lot like clay and the uses on motorized bicycles are pretty limitless. I plan to help other members looking to make their own bags and stuff if they ask which is what this forum is about.
i did not put it in accessories because hand carved leather for bicycle accessories are not available and if you want them you have to fabricate your own.

master shake: leather can be made any color. they have a dark walnut which comes to mind to get the look you want. its really pretty easy to work with and the costs are not that bad if you watch for leather to go on sell

scotto: i am doing this for my own pleasure and motorized bicycle at this time not selling anything.
You got my vote (^) let's see some toolin' :)

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Leather work uses many of the same skills as metal fabrication, the big difference is that instead of a welder you use thread and needle.

When I made my wedge bag I used many of the same template and measurements that I saw in a thread about making a gas tank.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It is so great to see you again Comfort!

You were very badly missed Dear Friend.

If you take another hyadius, (am on a cell phone and spell check hates me) Please let folks know. You know how we worry.

I can't decide between an ET or leave a Brother hanging joke but please just check in. Your important and loved. So just freakin' let us know you are OK! ,OK?

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Leather in all colors free with a sofa or love seat. See CL listings under "FREE". So what is the total cost of this free leather. Your gas to and from and back to the dump to toss the skeleton. Recycle Reuse Repurpose

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
today i finished up my tool bag for the front handlebars. i carry a lot of stuff and a 21 mm wrench is a must which is 11 inches long. no such thing as a handle bar bag that wide so a custom bag was the only way, the skulls are snaps. its thick leather more then 1/8 inches thick. anyway i am happy with the results. it not only fits all my tools but a sandwich and a few beers also. i learned a lot and the next project will be a bag for the battery. the dragon was hand craved and stamped. kinda fun with no pattern just a drawing you want to bring to life

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just saw this thread and am signing on. The leather work I've done is different. No tooling, so it will be interesting to follow what you're doing. 'My experience is with either harness leather (made Indian saddles, bridles and other horse stuff. The decorative part was in the pattern of the hand stitching and bead work added on, pony beads and that sort of thing.) The other work was in thinner leather, some deer hide in making medicine pouches and mostly using elk hide which is stronger and more durable. I made a lot of mukluks, moccasins, wallets, cell phone cases, pouches, medicine bags, ladies purses, draw string bags, prayer pipe bags, knife handles, knife sheaths, tomahawk sheaths. Stuff like that through the years. Since I've been fooling around with motorbikes I've made leather grips for all my bikes, most with foam core for comfort, some of them fringed and some not. And have done a number of bike seats in both elk hide and harness leather which is a lot harder to work with. Did some behind the seat gas tanks covered in harness leather which I'm not doing for sale anymore. I've been wanting to make saddle bags out of harness leather but haven't gotten around to that yet.
No, I don't want to do stuff to sell so don't ask. Thanks anyway. I did so much stitching at one time in my life that I got burned out doing it. Haven't made mukluks or moccasins for years now.
I did make a couple of beading looms so I can teach my ten year old grand daughter how to do some beading this coming winter. And I suppose she's going to want to make some beaded moccasins. Grandpa has a soft heart, so moccasins here I come. Ha!
Like anything else, this leather work is something you can learn.

Paul, please do some in process pictures and share what you know. It's a cool thing to customize our builds making them even more expressions of who we are. For me re-doing a seat or making my grips is just another aspect of building a bike and no different than painting the frame. Fabrication can take many forms and it is all satisfying, especially learning to do things we've never done before. Don't badger Paul too much to make you stuff or it won't be fun for him anymore. Have him teach you how you can do it yourself and then the fun is yours.
SB

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
sb i havn't done any leather work in over 30 years. something i have found is i have gotten older and have some patience. that makes a huge difference on quality of work put out lol. i have no problem putting it down to dry or just to rest. the only picture i have is one after i cut and tooled piecing together the pieces before i sewed and put finish on the leather. i will be doing the battery bag next and will post as i work on it. as you can see by the picture the snap was originally going to be in the center however was next to impossible to snap close with an empty bag so i put the snaps on either side. i held the bag together with cheap electrical clips to look over everything before doing the final steps
bill i will be posting more picture with on bike soon. i am rebuilding one of the wheels right now so bike is upside down on the floor

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
today i finished up my tool bag for the front handlebars. i carry a lot of stuff and a 21 mm wrench is a must which is 11 inches long. no such thing as a handle bar bag that wide so a custom bag was the only way, the skulls are snaps. its thick leather more then 1/8 inches thick. anyway i am happy with the results. it not only fits all my tools but a sandwich and a few beers also. i learned a lot and the next project will be a bag for the battery. the dragon was hand craved and stamped. kinda fun with no pattern just a drawing you want to bring to life
Awesome job Paul..........that thing looks really good.

Map

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
That looks really good! I cant wait to see the battery bag you make! I have never done any leather work and wouldn't know were to start or have the time. So, I will just be watching from the side!