First Delmar Build, parts check

GoldenMotor.com

Spruce Moose

May 18, 2013
New Hampshire
After having trouble with a pre-used motorized mountain bike, I'm turning to putting together a cruiser. I like the simplicity and aesthetics of the cruiser and how it naturally lends itself to being motorized.

My goal is to remain under $400 total and want to make the for the easiest installation (ie. no drilling into the frame), with the best use of funds.

I've learned alot this past month and been doing alot of scouring on the forums, this is where I'm at and my questions:

Bike
Schwinn Delmar $120 at Wal-Mart
I'm 6'1" and between the Delmar and the cheaper Cranbrook, the former is more accommodating to my height, plus I just like its vintage look

Besides sawing a portion of the back-wheel fender, will this bike require any additional modding considering the engine I'm putting on? For instance, do I should I upgrade the universal motor mount ($10) offered on BikeBerry or will the 1-bolter provided do its job?

Are there any aftermarket front-suspension forks that are compatible with the Delmar?

Should I want to convert the bike to a 3-speed, will that be possible?

Engine
66/80cc Flying Horse Silver $150 at BikeBerry
My only experience has been with a Flying Horse motor and can't say I've had any engine problems, despite knowing that the bike I'm on has been ridden on hard.

Upgrades
Springer Fork $35 at BikeBuyers

Front Brakes $24 at Bicycle Designer
Is the above fork a straight or bent fork? Wouldn't know the difference.

SLO Chain Tensioner $35 at SLO Motor Bikes Hawaii
I think I could do this myself for cheaper by modding the out-of-box chain tensioner, buying a urethane wheel and a couple parts, but I love this application.

Besides an NGK spark plug, are there any other upgrades I should be looking at?

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome, you will find a lot of delmar builds here. The fenders are very thin and will crack even if you replace all the braces, a friend tried everything possible to keep the fenders on his but was unable because they keep cracking near each mount. The front almost cause a crash so he removed them. The kit supplied mount with the single bolt is the drill the frame type, a good solid frame clamp is worth the money. The delmar has better coaster brakes than the cranbrook, I have a cranbrook and his brakes are much better than mine. Changing to a three speed would require front and rear side pull brakes, bmx brakes will work but are not as good as v- brakes and far inferior to disk.

Spruce Moose

May 18, 2013
New Hampshire
Thanks Greg, I guess in addition to removing the supplied chain guard, I'll also remove the fenders.

I totally forgot about the brakes! I know of the importance of good front brakes. I should probably just wait to pounce on a used front-suspension fork with v-brakes.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
curtisfox, thanks for the heads up. damn what a bummer.
Not saying its all that bad but need to replace some of the bolts they seem to come lose, there are some guys that run them. I do know the oridgonal Monark and Schwinn are a lot heavier built.........Curt

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
You are on the right track. Those forks you are looking at will work great. Be sure to use lock tight on the crown bolt and might even want to add a cotter pin just for your peace of mind. That way there is no chance it will back out. Any chain tensioner that bridges the frame will be much better than the stock. You might want to consider a layback seat post. Inexpensive and another good easy upgrade. Have fun..

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Just my personal experience so far.... I haven't had issues with the kit chains. I think it depends on what they send in the kit. Mine came with #415 chain kits and it works great. I did buy a #41 chain for one of my spare bikes which is a bit wider and it seems to work well also. I can't really tell the difference so far, but generally people agree that the #41 chain is the best choice.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Why do you hate to admit it? Cuz its ugly?

I used a piece of aluminum skid plate for the bridge,shaved down coaster brake arm for the swing arm:confused:,kit roller,an old spring I had laying around,and then I got cRaZy! Not really,I just used some of the metal bushings from a quick release seat post clamp in order to have everything moving smoothly. And 4 cheap u bolts from wally world. I have a better idea in the works that I will share in detail here on the forum. This one worked awesomely,until I wrapped the motor drive chain around the inside of the rear sprocket! Had it too close to the rear sprocket and it chewed up the roller.