Front brake vs back

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I actually reduced my bottom bracket gearing. I went down from the stock 44t to 28t. It helps a lot with braking. It also helps that I have a heavy duty rear wheel with a Shimano clone hub, and I service it regularly. But I agree with you, kc. Never any excuse not to have two brakes on a mb.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I basically need to get rid of one of the levers (and can't do the double brake lever). Which one should I take out? Front or back. I;m putting a 66cc motor on it.

Here is a pic of the bike: (don't know if it maters)
My vote goes to keeping both brakes. One thing I noticed in your picture is that your rims are painted. From my experience, painted rims will hamper the brake's stopping power and the pads will wear out very quickly. I highly recommend removing the paint from the braking surface.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My vote goes to keeping both brakes. One thing I noticed in your picture is that your rims are painted. From my experience, painted rims will hamper the brake's stopping power and the pads will wear out very quickly. I highly recommend removing the paint from the braking surface.
That explains why my pads wore out so fast on my front rim, but not my back. Front was painted, back wasn't. Good thing I got a front drum and rear coaster though. Both rims are now painted black.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
So for quite a while I was only able to run a rear myself...kept snapping bolts that hold the front brake onto the forks...but as of yesterday I figured out the reason...my front tire had a wobble...and with the brakes engaged it would shimmy and snap...i tightened the bearing retainer bolts and voila no more wobble and a successful front clamp brake...what a huge difference...my stopping power has greatly been improved and with a little adjustment I found the sweet spot