Clutch is grinding against Cover Hummmm...

GoldenMotor.com

recon chris

Apr 28, 2011
pacific grove
So here is the deal. I have just recently rebuilt my engine from the crank shaft up and have installed all components almost to exactly what they were stock. You can read and catch up on the exact engine I’m talking about on this forum here
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=36485

The problem I’m having is that ever since I have rebuilt the engine the clutch “position holder screw” and the clutch “flower nut” grind into the clutch cover when I pull the clutch in (or pull the clutch plate away from the clutch pads). This never happened before.
I am using the original clutch pads so no thickness has been added there and when I screw the flower nut to the correct position it will still grind itself against the clutch cover.

When I reassembled the clutch part of the engine I left the heavy spring clutch unit alone so that is still stock. I did change one thing though. When I put the jam nuts on both sides of the clutch assembly (the sprocket and the clutch side) I left out the locking washers off (because they were made in china and I could bend them in half between my fingers) and replaced their function by using a generous amount of blue thread locker.

Another thing is that I cranked on the jam nut on the clutch side first and then later did the same to the sprocket side. Maybe this was wrong and cranking the jam nut all the way down on the clutch side pulled the entire clutch assembly out of alignment?

Please I really need your help guys (and really don’t want to have to split the case again)

The clutch has now gotten to the point where for some reason pulling the clutch in won’t engage the clutch. I went in an loosened the flower nut but after a few minutes of riding it did the same thing (odd since the position screw is in place and the flower nut shouldn’t move.)

:-||

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I'd more then bet when you installed the clutch/gear, that it isn't seated all the way to the case bearing. If this is so the clutch assembly will protrude out too far and rub the cover. As you tighten the nut on the clutch and have it tight, take a hammer and tap on the clutch. Now is the nut can tighten more then it wasn't seated to the bearing. You may need to do this a few times.

Here you will see that I use a 1 1/2" socket to seat the clutch should I have to. Notice the socket is forcing the inner portion of the gear, and a even pressure is applied to the hub.

The 3 pins are hidden by the socket.

Last edited:

recon chris

Apr 28, 2011
pacific grove
Thanks AL. Funny story hehe hahaha oh my sides. I took the cover off again before I left college today and the jam nut, you know the one
I left out the locking washers off (because they were made in china and I could bend them in half between my fingers) and replaced their function by using a generous amount of blue thread locker.
Ya it had backed out to the end of the thread...ya I know blue locktite didn’t hold it for more than 25 miles I'm disappointed to....and ya I know, what an A$$ I am for trusting it in replace for an actual lock washer. (what I get for being cheep)

However your information will be of great help I'll do a real job of it later on tonight. Fortunately today I just happened to have a socket wrench and a #19 socket in my school backpack so I got home ok (its as if I don't trust my bike). I can’t thank you enough for your info because all I did when I first installed it was tighten the nut and I didn't seat it.

Its and open shut case Al. thanks!

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
One motor I have had 5 gaskets used as a spacer ,this how it came new from China.:-||
Are you surprised? They export and or produce baby killing formula, lead painted children's toys, tainted toothpaste and killer sheetrock, to name a few. Be lucky it was only a cheap disposable engine.