DIY Bike repair stand! (with pics)

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, so after working on my bike for hours, I realized how annoying and hard it was. So I decided to get a bike repair stand. Since all of them were a ton of money, I was able to go to home depot, and buy some pipe, and make my own for $65 with 9.75% tax.
I used a guide online, but will repost here with my own pictures.
I made my a tiny bit different, but do whatever works for you.

Also, if anybody follows the guide, after building it, you MUST make sure everything is tight. Or you might put the bike on, and the long pipe will just turn and your bike could fall off if you're not holding it.
Also, if your putting a motorized bike on, be careful with the CDI wire, and the gas tank nozzle and gas tube. It could squish them, so just put it on carefully, and there won't be any problems.
DIY Home Bicycle Repair Stand

Attachments

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
More pictures.

On the receipt there are two things that aren't for the build, they were for another project at home, so I guess its a bit cheaper. like $63 bucks.

Attachments

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Good job, i'd put a couple of rubber[?] stops on the ends so the bike won't slip off. I'd like to have one of those. Sure would make life easier. Park makes some nice ones but they want buku bucks for one. 65$ is doable instead of 150/200$.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Yeah, that was my next step is to put some stops on it. I have to go to work in 20 min, and ill be back in like 9 hours, but tomorrow ill add them.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Looks good, geoldr. I found this little bike stand in a shop here. It works pretty well, though it could use longer front legs due to the motor weight, so I slip a couple of bits of pipe over them. The hooks the bike rests on are some kind of ABS or PVC material. The base could be easily remade from a pair of handlebars, but I'm in no hurry as it works for now.

If I set and idling bike on it I can hit the clutch and watch the wheel turn for chain and sprocket issues. I've even restarted a warm motor with a quick yank on the wheel while on the stand.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
It holds the back wheel up, the front is still on the floor.

Here's my wife's bike on the stand without the back wheel: Bike Stand 13.JPG

You can see where it rests on the hooks on the right side chain stay and seat stay.