Welder My HF Tig 165-Amp Gifted To Myself Today.

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Hey, everybody just gifted myself a new HF stands for ( Throw Away Tools ), it's the Harbor Freight HF 165-Amp Arc / Tig welder. HF model # 98233.

Gonna modify this welder with the pedal upgrade see my post / thread here,
Adding a foot pedal to a 98233 (165A) tig - WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts
Harbor freight tig foot pedal add-on - WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts

This cheapo welder retails for $499.00 I paid $349.00 on sale till ?
240 Volt Inverter Arc/TIG Welder with Digital Readout - Tig & Arc Welders - Welding

Finally I can Arc / Tig weld with this machine.

My first personal welder I started out with the HF 90 Amp Mig Flux Cored gasless welder which retails for about $149.00 sale price around $89.99
90 Amp Flux Wire Welder - Mig & Flux Welders - Welding

My second welder was the HF 151 Mig which is a gas welder retails for about $299.00 sale price $179.00
120 Amp MIG/Flux Wire Welder with Wheels - Mig & Flux Welders - Welding

My third welder I gifted myself with today is the 240 Volt Inverter Arc/TIG Welder with Digital Readout HF-Model # 98233 this welder can be upgraded with a pedal see my post here at welding web screen name Krzndn see link above.

Some details about this welder.

Designed for both TIG and ARC/MMA welding applications, this welding machine welds Mild steel, low alloy steel, and stainless steel (not suitable for aluminum) (MMA: 18 gauge (3/8" thick), TIG: 22 gauge (3/16" thick). Manual metal arc (MMA) welding’s simplicity and ease of operation make it the most popular welding method to weld iron and steel (including stainless steel). LCD readout.

Description of Chicago Electric Welding Systems 98233

Handles both TIG and arc/MMA welding applications. TIG welding gives you more control than other, faster, methods to create stronger, higher-quality welds.

* Electrical requirements: 240 volts, MMA: 37 amps, TIG: 11 amps, single phase, 60 Hz
* Welding current range: 10 to 165 amps
* Duty cycle: 30% at 165 amps, 100% at 140 amps
* Electrode capacity: MMA: 3/32" to 3/16", TIG: 1/16" to 1/8"
* Includes 13 ft. TIG welding cable with Binzel® torch, 9.5 ft. stick welding cable with multi-angle holder, 9.5 ft. ground cable with clamp

Gas fittings, hose and regulator are sold separately.
Input: 240 volts, MMA: 37 amps, TIG: 11 amps, single phase, 60 Hz
Rated output current: 10 to 165 amps
Rated output voltage: MMA: 28 volts @ 165 amps, TIG: 11 volts @ 165 amps
Max open circuit voltage: 69 volts
Duty cycle: 30% at 165 amps, 100% at 140 amps
Electrode capacity: MMA: 3/32" to 3/16", TIG: 1/16" to 1/8"
Weldable materials: Mild steel, low alloy steel, and stainless steel (not suitable for aluminum)
Material thickness: MMA: 18 gauge (3/8" thick), TIG: 22 gauge (3/16" thick)
Includes: 1/8" collet body, 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 1/8" collets, size 4, 5, 6, 7 gas nozzles, long and short back caps
Shipping Weight: 46.05 lbs.

For the money this welder can't be beat and it comes with German made Tig Torch probably worth as much as the welder if sold separately.IMO

Other notes you'll have to purchase the 20 Cubic Ft. Argon Gas Cylinder
Only:$89.99 argon gas cylinder sold separately.
20 Cubic Ft. Argon Gas Cylinder - Welding Accessories - Welding

The gas fittings, hose and regulator can be purchased for about $50 to $80 US dollars. Regulator Gauge Only: $39.99 Sale price @ HF Tool Co. $29.99
Regulator Gauge

Specifications Detailed.

Name 240 Volt Inverter ARC/TIG Welder with Digital Readout
SKU 98233
Brand Chicago Electric Welding Systems
Color Blue
Output Amps 10-165 DC
Duty Cycle 35% at 165 amps, 60% at 126 amps. 100% at 98 amps
Wire Capacity 3/32" rod
Item Type Inverter Welder
Voltage 230
Amperage 20
Phase Single 1

For me this welder will handle most if not all my welding needs for some time to come.

Anyone thinking about buying a welder I'd suggest you do a lil research and if you decide to buy from Harbor Freight my favorite throw away tool store, maybe you could start with the 90 amp flux cored mig welder again about $100 and then later if you are so inclined move up to a HF 151 or HF 171 both these welders are setup gas ready, which allows you to have less smoke than the 90 amp welder and you'll actually be able to see your welds better using the 151 or 171 with gas.

For even more help finding the right welder for your needs checkout WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Powered by vBulletin some of you may have the resources / money to afford a higher quality welder and you'll find many people over there who are much like our forum members willing to share their knowledge & experience so check it out if you want.

Peace Crazy Horse..shft.

Last edited:

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I just bought the HF 90 amp flux wire welder last week and a 3600 watt generator to run it. I'm having more fun than a guy my age is entitled to with it.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
too bad its not ac crazy.. then all your welding needs would be fulfilled. and yes norm def my fav tool in the mancave!!!

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Really is great having one around, isn't it?

I got this one, FREE SHIPPING — Northern Industrial MIG Welder — 115 Volt, 22-135 Amp, Model# MIG 135 | Wirefeed Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment (was on sale) Regretting not going with a TIG but this has served well. Now just need to make much better looking beads, lol

Really opens up whole new worlds. I was kinda worried it was extravagant but well worth it

Yes Dan, can't build or fab without it!

A welder is the greatest toy for the man cave!! :)
I agree Norm!

I just bought the HF 90 amp flux wire welder last week and a 3600 watt generator to run it. I'm having more fun than a guy my age is entitled to with it.
Hammond Egger, the 90 amp gasless aka flux cored wire welder was my first personally owned welder, gifted it to my brother, and he love's that lil welder.

For those of you who don't know it but a fellow forum member named Graucho has been using this same lil $89.00 90 amp gasless flux cored wire welder.

Here's a couple of build threads by Graucho using the Horrible Fright 90 Amp Flux Cored Mig Welder.
#1 http://motorbicycling.com/f40/fat-tire-bicycle-chopper-6778.html

#2 http://motorbicycling.com/f40/flaming-horse-fat-tire-chopper-21898.html

For the newbie's:
If you have the patience, you can become quite proficient with this lil welder, and start some amazing builds of your own!

Yeah, my man cave is over flowing with toy's, tool's, and projects galore!

This is my third personal welder I've been welding as an amateur, since high school and that was a few moon's ago! We used to have some Cranes with Arc welders on the back of them and used to get a lot of welding practice back then and was getting paid for it can't beat that.

My next welder I'm already looking at will see if it becomes a reality.

Peace Crazy Horse..weld

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Joe
when working the pipe line yrs ago, they sent a new welders helper to the job. The welder told him to watch the arc! At noon he said you need someone else, i can`t see the arc anymore!

Joe, keep that in mind! Still have not finished the threading jig, but soon.

Ron

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Crazy, I got a little guide for ya on amps 22 gua 10 to 30 amps 1/16" 30 to 60 amp, 1/8 60 to 120 amp, 3/16" 120 to 165 amps. I also like to use 1/16" 2% thoriated tungstens for light stuff up to1/8 and 3/32" for anything up to 3/16'" anchor makes good tungstens I'm not sure where to get the short ones my torch hold 7 inch tungstens i know the hf takes the short ones..

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Crazy, I got a little guide for ya on amps 22 gua 10 to 30 amps 1/16" 30 to 60 amp, 1/8 60 to 120 amp, 3/16" 120 to 165 amps. I also like to use 1/16" 2% thoriated tungstens for light stuff up to1/8 and 3/32" for anything up to 3/16'" anchor makes good tungstens I'm not sure where to get the short ones my torch hold 7 inch tungstens i know the hf takes the short ones..
Cool info Taco much appreciated, I'll be adding the foot pedal to this machine, and probably gonna get another torch for it as well.

*Special note while looking this Tig Machine over I noticed the male gas fitting on the back is 9/16 -18. This is something I'm gonna have to rig up to work. ideally I would like to have an adapter that fits to my existing regulator and hose, the regulator is a victor Hrf 1425-580.

Here's the answer, the fitting on the Victor regulators that adapt the 9/16-18 Male "B" fitting to 5/8-18 Female. Inert gas is a Victor #0911-0050 ADAPTOR, 9/16-18 RH(F) X 5/8-18 List for $6.98. not a bad price.

For those of you who can afford a welding class, I'd say do it so you'll know what you are getting into.

Welding is like a language if you really want to speak the language, then you must know the alphabet. Your welder if I may say so is your typewriter, by learning the alphabet you'll then be able to speak the language. Where do you go to learn the alphabet, welding class!

That's all I got to say for now!

Thanks again FlyByTaco, Kudo's to you!

Peace Crazy Horse.
.weld

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Yes ..2% Tungsten are what you want...get used to using the long backcap on your torch - better balance..Tungsten comes in 7inch lengths..as you sharpen it enough times it they become the short ones..use them with the short backcaps when you need to in tight places...The more you sharpen a tungsten the more contaminated it becomes depending on where you sharpen it...buy a cheep i1inch belt sander or disk sander for your bench...use the abrasive disk or belt only to sharpen your tungstens and take it off..use another disk or belt for other things....Pure tungsten is only used for Aluminum so that is not what you want at this time. Make sure you get the 2%..get a box of 3/32 from the welding supply store..it will work for anything on a bike ...sharpen the end with a short taper for the heavy stuff and a long taper for the lighter gauge

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Ya I agree with Crazy on the welding class I've been self teaching myself for the past year and i really want to go to class nothing like learning from a guy or girl that has 20+ years of knowledge.. I have a nice mig and i really like to use the tig no noise no smoke and precise beads. Also Crazy horse that guide is just a good strting point

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
[The more you sharpen a tungsten the more contaminated it becomes depending on where you sharpen it

Turtle, I use a bench grinder with 2 diamond wheels 1 side is for pure and one side is for 2%

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Ya I agree with Crazy on the welding class I've been self teaching myself for the past year and i really want to go to class nothing like learning from a guy or girl that has 20+ years of knowledge.. I have a nice mig and i really like to use the tig no noise no smoke and precise beads. Also Crazy Horse, that guide is just a good starting point
Here's something for everyone interested in welding or metalworking!

Welcome To The Welding & Metalworking Forum - Motorized Bicycle: Engine Kit Forum

FYI welding information see above Link.

Peace Crazy Horse..weld