49 Whizzer Headlight Bracket

GoldenMotor.com

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I have a 49 Whizzer with the springer front end. It has no headlight & I'd like to install one. All the pictures of old Whizzers that I find with headlights don't clearly show how the headlight is mounted to the bike. Anyone out there have a picture of the old headlight brackets mounted to the springer forks? I know there different varieties of them.
Jay

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Thanks Jim. I don't think that's a vintage bracket. I think it's an electrical conduit bracket. Not sure though, it might be vintage. This is what I'm guessing it is. I mounted my EZ Bike headlight with this. They work great.
Jay

Attachments

Hi Jay,

The actual 100% [Whizzer]correct light for your Whizzer is either the Bendix generator, large headlight, and Whizzer taillight or the Hall generator, large Chrome headlight, and Whizzer taillight. The system was often tagged with the name "Bi-Lite".

Because your Whizzer is a vintage 1949 model either is correct because the Bendix system was offered along side the 1949 Hall system for a period of time. The Bendix generator attaches to the screws that hold on the belt guard, the later Hall unit is held in place by the exhaust manifold mounting bolts.

I will include a picture of the light [available via Memory Lane]. Another photos will show the mounting brackets attached, and the last picture displays the light mounted on a 1948 Pacemaker using the Bendix generator [look at the belt guard].

Of course the most popular and common was a chrome headlight with 2 "D" batteries and was normally attached to the handlebar pinch bolt. I don't have any pictures of that setup, but do remember them well.

Have fun,

Attachments

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Thanks Quenton, you gave me all the info I needed. Hey, where did you snap those pictures? You have one you want to sell? I'll be calling Memory Lane.
Jay