camping

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think it would be a good project. I have some trailers I built. As a matter of fact I'm going to build a new one this weekend. The ones I build are so simple and inexpensive I can build one for every purpose under heaven.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
id love to make one more like a 'pop up' camper.i think that would be awesome! but yea,these trailers look very easy to build. i was already out side salvaging thru old pipes and conduit just to see what i could use to make one myself,lol

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well if you want the pop on a small trailer I would go with two fold outs not the one they use. It will cut down on the size of the trailer. I have never built a camper but I think I would like my fold outs to be alum with webbing like a lawn chair. Maybe you could find the right size lawn chair to make a bed.

Just a thought running around in my soft brain.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
The trailer or "powered trailer" concept gave me some ideas to sketch recently. By using
a double drive of the single drive system tricycles use (first sketch) I figured the motor could
sit to the right front corner of the trailer and be isolated in it's own box with two outside
corners open for ventelation. The throttle cable from the carb and kill switch wire would extend
up thru the tongue to the bike where the rider could easily control the operation of it. The motor
would use a centrifugal clutch to drive both rear wheels and be steered by the bicycle like a
fifth wheel trailer. See first sketch.

The second sketch is of a ply wood and canvas tear drop trailer with the canvas upper structure
held in place by thin wall conduit. The right side would have a diagonal zipper to access the
interior where a cot or sleeping bag/air mattress would provide sleeping quarters. Rollup screen
window flaps would provide vents and view. Room under a cot could provide for small ice coolers
for food & drink, cooking utensils & stove, lanterns etc for a weekend fishing trip etc.

Attachments

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
.ride7a
GREAT IDEA---but i hate to throw water on the idea--a trailer needs flat ground and needs to be pulled into a site --i have done extensive bicycle and backpacking trips--it is easiest not to camp in regulated campsites but just off road anywhere--read Ken Keifers site on long distance biking and camping--and it is much easier to pack your tent into a site it gives you far more choice--what if yogi bear pedals away on your bike and trailer when you are asleep?? see
Bicycle Camping and Touring -- Cycling Travel Advice and Long-Distance Touring Travelogues

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I guess that is the way it is done is Canada but down here in the South if we catch Yogi rippin' off our bike we'll shoot him in the BooBoo. Then we will drag his lifeless butt to the ranger station in our bicycle trailer at Jellystone and tell him you just wittnessed the damnest case of suicide you've ever seen. Then we call all of our buddies and tell them to bring the sauce and dry rub 'cause in the South, to quote that great southern rocker and statesman, Ted Nugent, "You got to kill it before you grill it!"
Harley's Dad

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
I guess that is the way it is done is Canada but down here in the South if we catch Yogi rippin' off our bike we'll shoot him in the BooBoo. Then we will drag his lifeless butt to the ranger station in our bicycle trailer at Jellystone and tell him you just wittnessed the damnest case of suicide you've ever seen. Then we call all of our buddies and tell them to bring the sauce and dry rub 'cause in the South, to quote that great southern rocker and statesman, Ted Nugent, "You got to kill it before you grill it!"
Harley's Dad
ted nugent was from the south,i thought he was from Michigan? anyways,if i woke up and someone was trying to screw with my sled,they'd get a face full of lead!

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Yeah, Ted Nugent is from Detroit and he's got a hunting camp on the West Shore road on Lake Gogebic, about 20 miles from where I am at the moment.

I have to agree with Robin only because you just never know. All it would take is the one time where you didn't wake up, and "poof" it was gone! I think I'd start killin' campers!

I do like those trailers though and if I could find one cheaper than EBay, I'd buy one and use it for camping. I just happen to live in a place that I can camp where there aren't campers lookin for a free bike!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think a small trailer is a good idea. I have no idea what it does to your gas mileage but a trailer but a trailer with 12 inch bike or scooter wheels is easy to build and will carry a lot of camping supplies. They also pull very easily. I have a bunch of them that I built. (Not for sale)

Fishermanblues

Aug 24, 2008
Tucson Az
I think it would be a good idea to make one too. It's a pain to have to load all your camping gear onto your pannier rack with bungee cords, and if you don't do it right the bike becomes unstable. The increase in surface area really allows the wind to push you around, I've had a couple close calls with some strong cross winds. With all your gear low to the ground on a trailer I don't think the wind would be so problematic.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Deacon, Was It You That Made Trailers Out Of Alum Lawn Chairs And Lounges. Some Where I Seen A Pretty Good Set Of Instructions. It Used All The Parts, Even For The Tongue. Someone On Here Has A Beautiful Tear Drop Trailer. Ron

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You don't need a welder. Like most projects it is simple If you go with the basics.

All you need to build a trailer to be honest is a piece of plywood 3/8" min.
a threaded rod and bolts for the axle.
A couple of pieces of angle with holes like they use for those cheap metal storage racks. its available at home depot all this stuff is. The axle goes through the angle with a bolt on each side to keep it from turning.

then your wheel goes on with double nuts on the end to keep it from slipping off but not to tighten it.

The tongue is a piece of conduit that you buy at home depot.

The hitch I use on the bikes axle is a shelf L brace.

There you have it instant trailer. Depending on the wheels about ten to fifteen pounds. The one I built yesterday uses ten inch lawn mower wheels but I do not know how it is going to work yet. So I can't recommend the wheels yet.

All the rest of it I have done before and it works pretty darn well.

Last edited: