co2 cartridges vs mini air pump?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
For years I used a small bell tire pump that strapped to my frame or I would stick inside my back pack.

On my last ride it broke and this time was considering using co2 cartridges instead of a mini air pump to carry with me when I ride in case of a flat.

I've never used co2 to inflate my tires. Does anyone use it?

Does one cartridge fill one or multiple tires?

How many psi can I expect from using a co2 cartridge?

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Being terribly old fashioned I've always relied on an ordinary bicycle pump that clips to the bike frame. That way it's always there when you need it and what's more they always work. Even when I was riding motorcycles I would carry an ordinary old bicycle pump because they work just fine when it comes to fixing punctures on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere.

The problem I can see with the CO2 cartridges is that by Sod's Law you will discover you have run out of them and have none in your toolkit one day when you're miles from home.

Attachments

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Problem with the CO2s is that they lose volume when they're filling as the gas get's really cold and condenses. They also can leak and/or blow their little adapter apart in your hand.

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
I've carried both a "frame-clip" pump (or a mini tire/shock absorber pump) and CO2s for years now (due mainly to goat-head stickers). Yet, for some reason I don't think I've ever used a CO2 while on the road or trail. My guess is that my hand pumps have always done the job both quickly and easily enough for me. I did use 1 cartridge for testing purposes when I first started carrying them, but the results weren't exactly the greatest. Yes, it worked, but the whole thing was kinda "iffy" which lead me to think it'd take a bit of luck to get 2 tire fills from just 1 cart. So, I figured 1 cart = 1 fill.

Anyway, I myself wouldn't rely solely on CO2 carts on anything but short rides.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks for starting this thread..
I've recently been thinking about a cartridge filler, and wondering if it would be a good thing or not. What I'm getting from the posts so far is that it might be a good thing for filling the tire most of the way as a quick repair, then finishing off with the good ol' hand pump until one can get to a good compressor.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've used the CO2 cartridge tire inflater several times and it works great, in my experience it took more than one cartridge to fully inflate my tire, bought mine at my local bike shop he highly recommended it and said he has been using that method for a long time and so does many of his riding buddies, I like either way old school or CO2 the CO2 is something that can be carried in a much more compact way, I will say that you should get a high quality device for the CO2 cartridges, mine was a middle of the road to cheaper on and it works but the higher end ones that will accept the larger dia. CO2 cartridges is what I would go with, mine only uses the smaller dia. ones like you would use in a pellet pistol.

map reddd

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The thing I like about a pump is that it never runs out of air, unlike cartridge systems.
As much as I ride, I like the security of a pump more than the convenience of cartridges.

Need For Steve

Oct 5, 2013
North Carolina
I'm looking to use my motorbike for commuting once it's finished, so one of the first things I picked up was a frame pump. I tried using it to fill the replacement tube I also bought, and it was THE HARDEST pump I've ever used, and this includes trying to fill a car tire with a foot pump. I like the idea of a frame pump, but I'd wear myself out long before I got the tire to pressure. Maybe I just bought a defective one, I dunno...

Seriously considering CO2 though, because it seems to be much quicker...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If your pump seems too hard to operate, it's probably not on the valve stem correctly. Be sure it's all the way on when you flip the lock lever.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I just drop the $50 for HD tubes and liners to do both wheels so I don't get flats but I'd think one of those cheap little 12V air pumps that plug in a car lighter might work with a diode hooked to the white wire if you kept your engine revved while it filled the tire.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My new Bell AirStrike 500. Works great and only 8" long I can easily mount it to my frame, bike rack or toss it in my back pack.

Even comes with a pressure gauge although I doubt its very accurate but its better then noting when out a long way from home.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
With my previous research, I learned, in a nutshell...

CO2 - Good for on-the-go, really compact and little effort to fill the tire
*CO2 inflated tires will lose air quicker than regular compressed air.

Hand pump - Good for at home.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
My new Bell AirStrike 500. Works great and only 8" long I can easily mount it to my frame, bike rack or toss it in my back pack.

Even comes with a pressure gauge although I doubt its very accurate but its better then noting when out a long way from home.

So it works worth a flip? I haven't bought one due to the fact that I know most Walmart stuff sucks. lol

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
With my previous research, I learned, in a nutshell...

CO2 - Good for on-the-go, really compact and little effort to fill the tire
*CO2 inflated tires will lose air quicker than regular compressed air.

Hand pump - Good for at home.
CO2 expands and contracts with change in temp way more than air, so yeah CO2 will lower tire pressure when it is cooler and then when things heat up a bit the pressure will increase, regular air is better overall, but CO2 is great to have in case you get a low tire and don't have access to a pump or compressor and the CO2 rig is small light weight and easy to pack away in a small bar bag or whatever one has on their bike.

Map
.wee.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Somebody should make a nitrogen cart. That's what they use in NASCAR. LOL
You could try loading a nitrous cartridge for a whipped cream dispenser. Not sure if they're the same size as a CO2 cartridge, they look pretty close. (My ownership of a paintball gun did not overlap with the acquisition of a whipped cream dispenser so I never had both on hand at once.. never used the little CO2 cartridges much. They were handy 'backups' to the 10 Oz bottle slung under the stock... It was much more satisfying ;)).