Steering Upgrade for Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
I have never been comfortable going 40MPH on a MB with a standard goosekneck mount for handlebars. Too many memories when I was a kid hitting something and having my handlebars spring to the right or left, usually driving me right into the pavement. It seemed this would happen no matter how much I tightened the goosekneck bolt. And there's a good reason motorcycles have triple trees and risers for positive control. My answer was to remove my goosekneck and replace it with risers from a Schwinn OCC. This also required a change in handlebars since bicycle bars are knurled in the middle. I had a set of old Yamaha cruiser bars hanging on the wall that are reminiscent of vintage "drawback" bars. So I thought, "why not try them?" They work pretty well and give the bike a vintage look. Since the new risers required me to relocate the speedometer, I was pleased to find that the open head tube was a perfect place to run the speedo cable and a couple of electric wires. All of these changes were a perfect opportunity to relocate the horn which originally hung under the frame like the bike's private parts, now it looks like a real horn. I apologize for the lousy photos but we have Hurricane Sandy bearing down on us right now and it was hard to get good shots. If anyone is interested, I'll take better photos after the storm

Attachments