Silver Slant 80CC Moped Bicycle Motor Engine Kit from Deamon Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

peteyb

Feb 5, 2011
London, Ont.
Silver Slant 80CC Moped Bicycle Motor Engine Kit

^^^ thats the one... ^^^

does anyone here have any experiences with this engine kit, or daemon bikes in general? what attracts me most to this motor is the fair price, free shipping, size/displacement and angle fire slant head design.

i recently converted a ladies bike frame into somewhat of a mens frame. i am a little weary of whether i can fit a standard motor into my frame. i found a generic 2-stroke engine template that i printed out to scale, and by the looks of it, these motors should fit. the reason why i would like to go with the angle fire slant head is because i am worried that the spark plug may interfere with the frame with a standard motor.

can someone please tell me the difference between the angle fire slant head and a standard vertical firing motor? this website just states that "This engine features a 45 degree angled spark plug for better performance and fuel efficiency." and nothing more ...can someone elaborate this for me please?

i am a new comer to motorized bicycles, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks.

(just to give you an idea of what i am working with)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Good conversion there. For starters, an angle head engine is one of those things everyone disagrees on. I have heard they are less powerful in some ways than straight plug engines, or that it makes no difference. I went with a straight plug and I think it was a good choice. I liked the powerband. A problem you will face with that frame unless you re-route the cables, is that you will need to clamp your engine on that downtube. On the other hand it seems that you can weld, and well, a lot of engine mounts suck, so if you want to leave the cables where they are, maybe you could fabricate a front mount and weld it on. This is off of a website that sells a straight plug kit "Any 26” bike will work with little to no modifications although other smaller bikes have accepted our kits. Basically, it’s a clearance issue. As long as the engine will fit into the space in the frame it will work. The engine is 10 ½ inches tall and 5 inches wide." I hope this helps! Just keep asking questions, we can help get you answers :)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's the rubberband you need to wind up so the bike will go...:)

sorry.

"powerband" is how the motor works from start to top speed. there's low end, mid-range, and top end.

low end (or bottom end) is how much torque it has to start with and when you're going slow or uphill.

mid range is cruising speed.

top end is flat-out, top speed.

a good powerband will have power all the way through.

different engines perform differently, like it may accelerate quick but bog at full-throttle, or it may take off slow, but cruise just fine, or...etc...etc...

use the search box up top for "slant head" and you'll find a bunch of threads about them.

my personal experience with them is they're for clearance issues only. i've experimented with both heads, and found my slant head slower than the straight plug.

but other people think they're great. maybe it's just the luck of the draw...

peteyb

Feb 5, 2011
London, Ont.
ahh i see... thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

i have nothing against the straight head, other than the fact that it may be a little more difficult removing the spark plug from time to time with my smaller sized custom frame. who knows, it just might fit, but i doubt i would be able to fit a socket over the plug to remove it, thats all. this is the reason why i mostly like the slant head, with the extra clearance space. to counteract the possibility of losing performance power with the slant head, i think i will upgrade my fuel filter, carb, exhaust, and other odd and ends right off the start ... and while im on subject; boost bottles, i hear the work, i hear they dont work?

as for daemon bikes, has anyone heard the good, the bad, and the ugly about them? im just about ready to order a motor and accessories...

leadslinger

Feb 20, 2011
Las Vegas
I noticed some angle heads... the plug is forward, and a few the plug is to the rear. Is the head designed so they can run in either direction?

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
yes, either direction is fine. some have a preference, like me, i like the plug facing back so it fires towards the exhaust, also the air moves over the dome better IMHO

peteyb

Feb 5, 2011
London, Ont.
i think i might point mine forward so that i will have easier access to it when i need to inspect/change my spark plug.

Sean9049

Mar 25, 2011
US
I am a 15 year old kid, who know a lot about small engines from school and self taught stuff. i am looking for a around 100 dollar engine kit to start my own business. When gas prices start to go sky high, i feel like i will have been smart for what i did. Any suggestions?

leadslinger

Feb 20, 2011
Las Vegas
Hey Sean9049, That is is awesome wanting to start your own business. Seems there are alot of people selling "China Doll" motors. It seems to me the guys who are designing a custom, or billet part for the build of motorized bikes are having great success. Try ebay and find a 2cycle motor and then get it mounted and you will come up with a need for a cleaner build. Get it designed, and built. Now you need to get the word out on your product and start taking orders. Good luck and keep us updated.

peteyb

Feb 5, 2011
London, Ont.
I am a 15 year old kid, who know a lot about small engines from school and self taught stuff. i am looking for a around 100 dollar engine kit to start my own business. When gas prices start to go sky high, i feel like i will have been smart for what i did. Any suggestions?
your best bet would be to talk to the experts about this, but i'm sure you would be heading in the right direction if you took a general machining course, and maybe a few welding courses on the side too. some drafting experience (OCAD, etc) wouldn't hurt too. your main objective now should be getting a good education and while you're at it, start applying to small engine shops as a helper to see if you really enjoy this line of work.

good luck.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
My advice, if you have not already built a bike for yourself is do that. If you have, do it again. Get extremely good at working with these engines, then maybe someday you can buy cheap kits and put in parts to improve them so you can sell them at a good profit, like Chris Hill did. All the best,
-LS

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
yeah my kit is from them. i wont buy another from them, i'll get a nantong made Starfire GT4 or a Jet from gasbike. it runs fine though, i have no reason to dislike it i guess.

leadslinger

Feb 20, 2011
Las Vegas
Maybe I am wrong. But I had the idea that all the China Dolls came out of the same factory. Because there quality was low, it made it look like there were good motors and bad motors. All the pieces are interchangable, so I think they are all from the same Chinamans backyard.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
There are at least 4 different factories that I know of, and quality is definitely different in different factories :)