Votes: 17 63.0%
  • no

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It's tru... it's hard ta get a foot of suspension travel outa a springer, let alone the ol' lady seat lol
Oh Gawd! What an image you put in my head. I figured to get a foot of travel down at the front axel, you'd need a spring up top that was about eight to ten inches long. The rider would bob up and down like a seagull on Lake Erie in November. There he'd be, boing-boing-boing, his helmet lifting up, then smacking down again, and every now and then he'd barf on the pavement from seasickness.

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I have a early 50's Lincoln (Schwinn) with springer. Its motorized but I did no modifications to the overall bike. I could have it back to a original pedal bike in less than an hour. I will modify classics but only bolt on stuff.

I dang near cry when I see someone cut up a perfectly good vintage bike, but if the thing was run over by a truck or something, by all means modify it and give it a second chance at life to be something cool!

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
I just chopped up a 50:s bike for a project so i have to say yes on that one.. :)
If i think that the idea i have makes it a better or more interesting bike i think its ok..
The world is full of "classic" stuff and we cant save it all, in the end its about having as much fun as you can and sometimes that is building stuff out of junk..

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I've motorized several 60's 70's Schwinn bikes. I use a whizzer as a model but install a common 5 hp B&S horizontal shaft motor. Welded in motor mounts, double belt drive, slipper or automatic clutch, homemade internal compression release, moped front forks and brake hub laced into 26" heavy duty rims, etc. etc. They do well over 40 mph and are very smooth and torquey.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I don't have one yet but up and coming is a Monark frame,with a 4 stroke. I am like SB find a lot at salvage placeses.I have a lot of old bikes mostly pass through's

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've motorized several 60's 70's Schwinn bikes. I use a whizzer as a model but install a common 5 hp B&S horizontal shaft motor. Welded in motor mounts, double belt drive, slipper or automatic clutch, homemade internal compression release, moped front forks and brake hub laced into 26" heavy duty rims, etc. etc. They do well over 40 mph and are very smooth and torquey.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll do a stand alone thread sharing photos and some of the how to's of your builds. They sound very interesting and something others can learn from. We love pictures around here.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey SB. Thanks for the photo posting info. The red and black bike belongs to a friend of mine. It's the latest version with some new ideas I had. I wanted a different clutch, so we modified a Motobecane variator and grafted it onto the Briggs crank. I wanted a charging system and always collected Sturmey Archer dynohubs. So my friend, who is a machinist, made a hollow pulley and we installed the dynohub works into it. Well, at speed it puts out 87 volts, so we regulate and rectify it with a cell phone charger down to around 6 volts DC. That keeps a battery pack in the headlight bucket charged. I'll post more details later.