• yes

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • no

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

bicycle bill

Aug 22, 2010
portland oregon
I was just wondering how many of you motorize a classic cruiser say pre 1960 and if you use the chinese kits on them or an italian kit or whizzer
William pedalpusherclassics.com

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
1940's Rollfast, modded Chinese engine (not a kit): http://motorbicycling.com/f38/rustoration-build-off-13144.html

The Morini, while a better engine - just looks all wrong for a vintage build in my opinion & although the Wizzer would be appropriate, it's far too large & there's some question regarding a modern Wizzer's quality... ironic it may be that I should mention quality when I'm so happy with the Chinese two strokes, but there's a significant price difference and I'm more than happy to "finish" a HT *shrug*

There are ofc almost as many engine alternatives as there are bikes being built lol, just about anything that goes "vroom" gets bolted on - The ol' Maytag washing machine engines would be a heck of a vintage bike build... but they're not so common for some reason lol

Have ya checked out our Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles section?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
1939 Elgin chronicalled in the Rustoration thread, a couple of 63 Schwinn Americans, all with HT motors. Coming up is a 50 Panther with a four stroke, a 34 Elgin step through with a HT and a 42 Schwinn "The World" step through to convert to a three wheeler, probably with a HT. Can't help it. I like the old stuff.
SB

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If I could find one I would. Around here anything older the 20 years somehow becomes "classic" and starts for $100.
Missed out on a descent mens Hawthorn for $50 last week and it was the first realistically priced truly classic bike I've seen on CL in a year of checking.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've done a 24", 1940ish Colson, a 1942 Colson Imperial, a 1930's Colson Flyer, and a late 30's/early 40's Hawthorne Twin Bar Zep.

and i've got another early 40's Colson Olympic i'm ready to build, but i'm waiting till summer ends, 'cause it's an awesome beach cruiser.

the bikes i build start off as a basic platform, covered in rust, and would cost more to restore than what i could get back out of them, so i don't feel bad about slapping a chinese 2 stroke on them. i also don't do any modifications to the frames, so as long as they don't crack, there's no damage to them, so if anyone ever wanted to restore them, they could.

i would draw the line at motorizing an original, complete, near-perfect classic, though. there's enough basket cases around so i wouldn't have too. i mean, unless i found the perfect, vintage motor that would compliment the bike. then, anything goes.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I only did this one. I removed and saved some parts so that I could revert back to original. These parts were chainring(skip tooth), fork, rim and skip tooth sprocket, rear fender as it would have to be modifed for chain clearance. No holes drilled or any welding to original bike.
The pictures are under "what year is this old bike" posting.

Last edited:

miked

Apr 10, 2010
Ct
i am working on a 1936-7 elgin right now. I say its fine as long as you dont screw up the original, meaning the bike can be returned to og form.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
i am working on a 1936-7 elgin right now. I say its fine as long as you dont screw up the original, meaning the bike can be returned to og form.
Ahhh an old Elgin... Do you have a build thread? I'd like to see what you're working on. Sure do appreciate the old Elgins.
SB

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Far Northern N.S.W Australia
I bought Kevrons Colson so technically I own a classic but its not motorized yet , and I have to wait for a while before I get my hands on it , I have been lusting after vintage American Bicycle steel since I joined this site . glad I managed to get one , big thankyou to Bairdco .

Last edited:

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
I started by answering a simple $30 Craigslist frame ad as( pre war ) you guys imparted in my heart a real (community spirit) I flash forward to the bikes I now create, Wet_Dream ,DBA John Pittman Wet-Dream and my signature 1961 CA77 Early, 1961 fkiioed upside down reads 1961
A 1964 Late
A 1966 CA 95 Benlly Touring ,sans motor, that I just discovered accept's a 110 cc semi auto for $159.00 delivered
typically a set of schwinn forks or schwinn bars ae intergnangeable the exorbitant prices are a jike though I am West coast authority as I am "Son Of Salesman" and used minheritance to take ove California

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Does it still count if I soon WILL be motorizing a classic. Though my lovely Tempus is now a wreck, there is a great deal I can salvage. And when I saved that post-war JC Higgins from a trip to the landfill, that was pretty much what I had in mind anyway: to swap over the engine and various other parts. And as soon as I can use both feet to walk again, I assure you all, the build will resume.