New Motor Problems

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I installed My kit yesterday and having a couple problems.

When I disengage clutch I have no power I am going to check the nut inside the clutch arm cover(the heads of the screw-bolts are stripped out. I ordered a manual impact screwdriver is there a better way to remove these??)

I noticed some oil that seems to have spit out of the joints of the exhaust its very black is this normal ?
Anyways Thanks in advance.

Cheers

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Re:Help.... New Motor Problems

I got the bolts out with one of those easy out taps. Bolt is tight. Now when I try to start it and release the clutch nothing ...no chug chug... but the drive chain turns any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
When you release your clutch is there any tension on the cable? The cable shouldn't be loose but there shouldn't be any tension on it when the clutch is disengaged.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
No tension but the sprocket spins when engaged or not !! This blows...could I have put the cover on wrong, I mean should the arm be turned a specific way.
Cheers

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Hmmmm...you may want to pull the cover off and see if the sprocket is spinning on the shaft.

Do you have a good amount of resistance when you're pulling in the clutch handle, like you're actually moving something?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Yeah there is good resistance. I'm going to pull the cover off tomorrow, its getting dark here and check if its spinning on the shaft. Im also going to look at that animated drawing of the clutch system by MM again. Any other suggestions for trouble shooting to look for ??

Cheers

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Have you turned the flower nut either way? Is it possible the rod and ball are stuck in (in the disengaged position) the rod should be sticking out of the sprocket a bit.
Have you taken off the clutch cover and physically inspected it?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
The rod is sticking out a bit..I will also take the clutch cover off tomorrow and check the flower nut. ( I have to take the exhaust off to get to the cover)

Cheers

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I just took the clutch cover off and the little cog, washer and bolt fell out when the cover came off. I see there is a spot for a key to hold the small cog in place....the key is not there. My guess it was not put there during assembly My thought is I was able to ride for a bit just because of the tight fit,and eventually the fit loosened up ,screw backed out. Does this seem right?? Does anyone know the size of the key, where you can get one Im going to check Piston Bikes, and Zoom but I dont want to get killed for shipping on a tiny key, are there any other parts I might as well get because Im going to need them anyways?

Cheers

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sounds about right & tho I think the retailer outa jus' send you one no charge - bring the cog to your local (good) hardware store/fabrication shop/tool repair/gokart and/or lawnmower repair ta see if ya can't find a key that fits... they're common in many applications - I'd be surprised if ya couldn't find one local :)

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Im going to go to the farm and garden to match for a key..when I try to put the cog back on it doesn't want to go on too easy Is this a part that has to be tapped into place or is there something else going on??

Thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It may be slightly galled from free-spinning... but there's nothing wrong with a good, tight fit *shrug* so long as it does actually fit back on ;)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks just so I can rule everything out ...how far should that flower nut be screwed on it seems there is still bunch of thread left to go. Just a tip for measuring woodruff key size if you cant bring it to the shop, I just made an impression of it with My daughters play-doh and I am going to bring that and match it up.

Cheers

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The "flower nut" is for adjustment of clutch engagement/disengagement, so it needs be set to what you wish - not far enough in and yer clutch will hit the cover... the rest is up to you ;)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Shes running again just came back from a short spin... Its hard to say because this is my first engine but it sounds like its making a clanking, and there is still the black oil coming out of the joint where the manifold joins to the exhaust pipe I never clamped this because I was doing a test fitting is this oil normal ??

Cheers and Thanks

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
So this is the oil seepage I am wondering about from the 2 joints. Is this reason for concern, I am planning on cutting some slits on each joint to allow clamps to get a tight fit.

/
[/IMG]