fork with 1 1/8" steerer on an old school frame

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think the guy that wrote the tutorial is an idiot. First clue was when he said the springer fork moves the wheel back when you hit a bump. I have never heard anyone complain of that, and just by looking at a springer you can tell its designed to make the wheel pivot forward, not back. Secondly he is complaining about not having a brake mount. There are plenty of options to add brakes to springers. There are v-brake adapter plates all over the web, venice motor bikes makes disc brake adapters for springers as well, and there are also drum brakes. The guy is either too lazy and dumb to consider alternatives and research them, or he just wanted an excuse to change something on his bike. And grinding on fork components might be ok on a pedal bike, but I would never consider it safe on a motorbike. It also requires a level of mechanical experience and attention to detail that some people don't possess, and attempting something like that by yourself for the first time could end badly. I'm not saying that you cant get to that level of mechanical ability, but if you're not at that level, you shouldnt be trying something like this. This is just my opinion, others may feel differently.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
bigbutterbean Hi
I thought the same thing about the springer fork as you did (WHAT.S IS TALKING ABOUT????) but i think from the jest of what he is saying is he is trying to use it as a mountain bike. just look at the bike no fenders, clip on peddles and straight handlebars. i seen a video on you tube where they are taking old cantaliver frame and down hilling them. keep destroying them boys makes mine worth more $$$$$$$.

i put a 1 1/8" tube fork in a 1962 frame and it did not bind did not need to remove anything. i guess it just depends on what parts you have.

yes i see your point on grind on steering parts could end bad.
if you did have a small bind some just lightly sand the steem and bearing cup by hand should clear it up (no grinding).

Don p

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
bigbutterbean Hi
I thought the same thing about the springer fork as you did (WHAT.S IS TALKING ABOUT????) but i think from the jest of what he is saying is he is trying to use it as a mountain bike. just look at the bike no fenders, clip on peddles and straight handlebars. i seen a video on you tube where they are taking old cantaliver frame and down hilling them. keep destroying them boys makes mine worth more $$$$$$$.

i put a 1 1/8" tube fork in a 1962 frame and it did not bind did not need to remove anything. i guess it just depends on what parts you have.

yes i see your point on grind on steering parts could end bad.
if you did have a small bind some just lightly sand the steem and bearing cup by hand should clear it up (no grinding).

Don p
I get what you're saying, thing I'm confused about is, if he wanted to turn it into a mountain bike, why put a springer on it in the first place?

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
The springer fork is going to be weak sauce for an MTB application.

And I'm pretty sure it had it before he started riding it for MTB.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
dodge dude94 hi i think you are right about the springer. he said it was his dad's old bike. his dad has good tast lol.

by the way dodge dude94 what kinda mopar you got. i got a 1987 Dodge dakota short bed with a 1969 383 magum big block, blanced blue printed. i run the 1/8 mile in 7.90 92 mph i cut .030 lights all day long.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A LOT of trouble to go through, when you can just get a 1 inch shock fork that will fit- not as common but out there- I've got two of them with a 6" steer tube that fits most cruisers-

one I found in the trash, and has been sitting in my closet since- while I like the one on my 66 build for higher speeds- it IS heavy and just not that necessary on my 50cc, which I built to be lightweight and which only cruises at 25 or so.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
dodge dude94 hi i think you are right about the springer. he said it was his dad's old bike. his dad has good tast lol.

by the way dodge dude94 what kinda mopar you got. i got a 1987 Dodge dakota short bed with a 1969 383 magum big block, blanced blue printed. i run the 1/8 mile in 7.90 92 mph i cut .030 lights all day long.
My whole family is Chrysler, actually. Cept my mom. She used to be Chrysler.

My personal daily ride is a 1998 Ram 1500 4x4, 360, 46RE, 3.55 gears with an LSD. Fixed plenum and new cat. Love that thing. This June I will have had it for 3 years. Got it when I was 15. :)

My other is my project truck. It's a 1976 Dodge D200, CCLB with a 400 V8, 727 trans, D60 rear with (I think) 3.55 gears and an open diff. Runs like a boss and stops like a hoss. :D Starts first crank and a half. :) Couldn't ask for better from a 36 year old truck that cost $1500.

But ANYWAY. :D

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
dodge dude94 Hi 400cid cool B block bro. what cranck you got in there cast or forged?

if you need a forged crank i got a spair fresh turn .010 under mains .010 under rods.

shot peend magnafluxed. redy to race. its a 383 same a 400 just forged steel not cast.

same crank i got in my race truck it turns 7500 rpm one bad truck.

if you need it let me know

verry hard to find.

Don P

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Hi all found this web page on putting a 1 1/8" steer tube fork in a old school schwinn frame. enjoy

Don P

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/workshop/65280-fork-1-1-8-steerer-old-school-frame.html
So the dude put a springer fork on a cruiser frame to make it "more MTB friendly"? Surely he realizes that, if he does not have enough simoleans to simply BUY a mountain bike, anything he cobbles together will be a disappointing substitute. And he doesn't seem to know much about springers either. That was just plain silly.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
dodge dude94 Hi 400cid cool B block bro. what cranck you got in there cast or forged?

if you need a forged crank i got a spair fresh turn .010 under mains .010 under rods.

shot peend magnafluxed. redy to race. its a 383 same a 400 just forged steel not cast.

same crank i got in my race truck it turns 7500 rpm one bad truck.

if you need it let me know

verry hard to find.

Don P
Whatever crank Dodge put in it in 75. lol

It's all stock, but it runs great. No mods for now, just fixing stuff and will do body work later. :)
So the dude put a springer fork on a cruiser frame to make it "more MTB friendly"? Surely he realizes that, if he does not have enough simoleans to simply BUY a mountain bike, anything he cobbles together will be a disappointing substitute. And he doesn't seem to know much about springers either. That was just plain silly.
I'm pretty sure the guy in the other forum thread was starting out with that bike with the springer on it already. I think it came that way from when his dad used to ride it and put the regular suspension fork on it to make a trail bike out of it.