Hello from South East Asia

GoldenMotor.com

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
Hello people, I am a new member here and a new motorized bike enthusiast.
I am from Jakarta, Indonesia, South East Asia. I stumbled on this MB site unintentionally, got interested and ordered a 66cc Flying Horse kit from one of the online shops on the sides of these forum.

This is a picture after a successful first ride today:

It is still in bad shape but it runs great. I will paint the bike and make it look neater. And will soon put motorbicycling.com stickers on. (thanks Paul, I have got your mailed stickers). Will these stickers endure gas spill if I stick them on gas tank?

Thanks to the forum members here, I have learned a lot of stuff from you guys.
As suggested in a thread I read, I tore apart the engine before even thinking of starting it, and good thing I did, I found a small metal sharp gram about 1/32" size between the two piston rings.

I have got boost bottles pair to install later (yes, I was late to read the review about them but will install it for the looks anyway).
I also got the banana x pipe but it hit the bike frame that I couldn't put it on. I will cut and reweld it later.

I think I really like the tinkering around trying to mount the engine and jackshaft into the bike, and that I couldn't help to pass on an offer of a used cruiser bike for my second built:

I am sure I have to cut the horizontal bar in the middle.
Some suggestions about this from you guys will be much appreciated.

thank you, I will post more later. cvlt1

Misel

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You do nice work. Thanks for sharing your build with us and good luck on your second. Send us some pictures when it's complete.

Tom

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
My second ride was unsuccessful yesterday.
The gut of the exhaust fell off hanging and the drive chain derailed at the front sprocket and wrapped around onto itself on my way home.
I walked home,only for about a mile.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
High Misel, My name is Mr. Power Feet ,and welcome to this forum!!! This is a great forum and a serious one. This forum has been invaluable help to me !!!
What I like about this forum, is that if you a have an importent question, There are many knowlegable people here taht will imeadiatley give you a serious answer, and you don't have to go through the story of war and piece with them before you get an answer.!!

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
yes, this forum has saved me an engine. i have learnt a lot by reading other's thread while waiting my engine kit to arrive (that is almost a month shipping from US).

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
today I fixed the exhaust pipe and the derailed drive chain.
The weld at end of pipe inside the muffler to the end cap has failed and it fell off like this.

i saw the small pipe was originally pinched in the middle, which I thought it was not good for gas flow. So I cut that short:

and then put those back into the muffler in this arrangement:

I have riden the bike like this today, it sounded just a bit louder but I like the sound better now. It sounded firm.

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
and to avoid the drive chain derailed again at the front sprocket when changing gear (I have jackshaft installed), I have put front derailer on without using it's cable actuator.

Now I can shift through all 7 gears with no problem.
the front derailer can really be adjusted to the exact position to avoid drive chain from derailing into bike frame and also avoid from reaching outside hitting jackshaft chain when the bike is in 7th gear.

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
Today I am making a modified cdi + cr80 coil.

I am still missing two more capacitors (still on the way from ebay seller).

I follow the instruction in this thread:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=28853

This cdi can have spark timing adjusted by arranging the jumpers.
And by using this cdi, we can now use CR80 separate coil which has stronger spark.
I am hoping for better performance from retarding the timing and the CR80 coil.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I wonder if you could hang the engine in front of the downtube on the second bike. Have you looked at the picture sticky threads? There are many alternative ways to build things there.

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
Second build

My second build on progress now:

I put boost bottles on each side of gas tank and put the self made cdi + Honda CR80 coil (in white plastic tube) in the middle of them.

CNS carb (works great to me), MM shorty intake, and I relocate clutch cable routing by using knee tube off a throttle cable assembly.

Nexus inter 3 speed, now I don't need to downshift before stopping.

I also got a chance to get this cruiser, Schwinn Corvette for my third build. It is rather hard to find a cruiser in my country let alone a Schwinn cruiser, lucky. I have been looking for a new one or a used one for a while now, and this is what I got, not bad at all. I get this one used in perfect like new condition.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I visited much of Southeast Asia in 1989 but didn't get to see Indonesia. Maybe some day.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
welcome to the forum misel...as youve already found out its an invaluable tool...keep up the great work...nice schwinn by the way...im jealous...good luck and welcome to your new addiction

Last edited:

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
I have done some more works to the second build this weekend.

Made a bracket for front disc brake caliper seat. I made prototype in card board and then transfered it to 3/16" steel plate.

Cleaned up paint off some part of the fork for welding the bracket.

Tested fit the brake caliper position.

I will have to go to a welder to attach the bracket later today. In the meanwhile I tried to fit a B67 Brooks seat.

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
Thanks.
I had some spare time last night, I worked on making head studs from better grade threaded rod, I cut it to desired length. This morning I put them on and also put on the MM hi-comp head, torq it to 130 in-lb

misel

Nov 22, 2012
Jakarta
I have got time to balance the crank.

I shaved 36 gr from the flywheel to have 57% balance ratio for high rpm smoothness.

More about my crank balancing can be seen in my other thread "My 66 cc Flying Horse crank balancing"

Last edited: