New From South Carolina

GoldenMotor.com

kj4jbc

Dec 19, 2012
South Carolina
Hello everyone names Jason. I am new to the bike world and just thought I would start off telling everyone what I have and how it came to getting one. Well after years of letting my drivers license go from being suspended, I thought I would get me a moped just to get around. I finally bought me a pre-built moped which is a MC-X09 50cc. After buying this moped and being told I didn't need a license or Ins. I drove for about a week or 2 and thought "man" I need to really find out how fast we are aloud to drive. So I looked it up in my state and found out that I really need to stop driving and go get a moped license. LOL !! Anyways I thought I would give everyone a little background about my situation.
I see everyone getting into building their own and I think this is cool. I would like to build one myself soon and maybe make it another hobby.

If I was to build one where would I find one to build and what would be a good starter for a guy like me who knows nothing about them?.flg.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
My only advice is don't start with crap.

I made a contentious topic raging into multiple pages here you can find in the main with 'Why start with Crap' title start and get pretty much every current view and opinion and where a good place to start with is.

I only know AZ law and that is 48cc but 66cc builds that don't sport a tag saying so have not been an issue and the extra 3/4HP does help.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Hi I'm from South Carolina but live in Tennessee now. Stick to what is considered a moped in SC. No manual clutching, operator can't shift gears, transmission must be automatic and 50 cc or less. My personal choice has been to deal with Staton Inc for my builds but there's several good reputable dealiers out there. Good luck.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
kj4jbc,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm in Charleston & ride my MB all around the area.
I haven't been stopped yet by local police, but I do obey the rules of the road.
I think as long as its 50cc or less, aren't clocked over 30 mph & obey the rules of the road, you'll be ok. I usually wear a bright yellow jacket, & police must think I'm just a goofy nerd saving gas money than some law breaker...
-Lowracer-

kj4jbc

Dec 19, 2012
South Carolina
kj4jbc,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm in Charleston & ride my MB all around the area.
I haven't been stopped yet by local police, but I do obey the rules of the road.
I think as long as its 50cc or less, aren't clocked over 30 mph & obey the rules of the road, you'll be ok. I usually wear a bright yellow jacket, & police must think I'm just a goofy nerd saving gas money than some law breaker...
-Lowracer-
Yea I live in Chesterfield County and I ride my scooter all over the place. I have no drivers license and didn't know I needed one. But I do 45 to 50 on it on high way 265, not much traffic but I get passed by Deputy Sheriff's all the time and they don't bother me. But now I do the 30 mile speed limit and do what is asked of me by law. I am going to go get my moped license this week so I don't have to worry about getting caught for Driving under suspended or any traffic violations. When I do get my moped license I am going to try to build me a bike from scratch and see how it works out. I really enjoy the open road of going out riding and my wife wants me to get her a scooter so she can ride around at the beach. So I will keep you guys posted on my progress...