Is my Muffler broke?

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
take a look at the inside of my muffler...it looks as if a hole has burned through the metal plate...is it broke? do i need a replacement?

and there is a gap at the end of this one.

Last edited:

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
well, i am having issues with my rpm/speed...and last month, the bottom of the muffler almost fell off, and I remember that my speed was hindered then too...i was wondering if this hole is causing air flow problems and thus causing rpm/speed problems...

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
black and sooty

i had planned to buy a pocket bike exhaust pipe eventually, i may end up getting it sooner b/c of this discovery...unless this hole is ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That rich. The more open the exhaust, the leaner it will run with a given carb setting.
You are having float issues or just need to move your clip up a notch.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Time to solder the jet closed and drill it out at the correct size, a common thing lately with the chinese in frame bicycle engine kit.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
there is nothing wrong with the muffler must of been made on a Friday the china man wasn't paying attention to his welding. you got a main jet problem.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
what size is my stock jet? .7mm? what size do i need?

hobby shop? like hobby lobby?

Last edited:

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Easiest thing to do is use the non-fluted side of a drill (end that goes into the drill chuck) and check the fit on your jet. Once you find the drill that fits the jet orifice, solder the hole shut and redrill with the next smaller size number drill. Wrap the drill bit with duct tape and use your fingers if possible to re-drill the hole since solder is very soft.
I'm sure the other guys on here have another way of doing though that might be easier.

I have use JB Weld in place of solder and had great results.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
If gas is coming out the tickler closing it up might solve the problem of gas coming out, but it is NOT going to solve the problem of WHY the gas is getting high enough to come out of the tickler. A properly set float will not let the gas level come up high enough to come out. An improperly set, high float level will make the engine overly rich.

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
i recommend you take some JB weld and cover up the hole,then see if it makes a difference in performance and if it is still the same go ahead and get the pocket bike exhaust